NYC Botanical Garden or Brooklyn Botanic Garden?

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi y'all,

I usually hang out in the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum, but figured I'd turn to those of you who might have personal experience with these two gardens to offer any advice you might want to share.

Our son and his wife are taking us to New York City this weekend (4/17-4/19), and one of the items on my agenda is a garden visit. We'll be staying in Manhattan, but are willing to travel by whatever means to get to a garden. (Probably subway!) I'll have limited time, so I'm sure I can't visit both, so my question is, if you could only visit one, which would it be and why. How's that for simple? ;->

Any and all opinions will be most appreciated! I might also post this in the Travel forum...

Thanks in advance, Barb

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I have been to the Brooklyn garden and it is very nice. Lots of things to see including an Alpine garden, a Children's garden and a community vegetable garden. The Bronyx Zoo is just across the street and there is a train stop there as well. Haven't been to the NYC garden though.

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi, Barb.

The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is smaller, so easier to cover in a shorter time. It's web site includes directions and what's blooming now. http://www.bbg.org/ The Prospect Park Zoo is across the street from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and the Brooklyn Museum is right nearby as well. I was born in Brooklyn and lived most of my life there, so I'm biased, but I think the BBG is great.

The New York Botanic Garden is in the Bronx and close to the Bronx Zoo. Both are great places to visit, with plenty of ground to cover. http://www.nybg.org/

Have fun!

Loretta

Thanks YankeeCat and Loretta - I really appreciate the feedback. I've checked the web sites for both, and they both look worth a visit, hence my dilemma.

Smaller might be better this time, so that's good to know.

I know I'll have fun wherever I go - looking forward to seeing lots of lovely plants and gardens and taking pictures like it was my JOB. LOL!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I know this is way late, but I've been to both and love them all. NYB had great daylilies the week that we went. great home type garden plant outs and other less formal gardens.
I took a zillion pictures.
I went to brooklyn before digital photography But also impressive. They publish a great number of gardening publications and i have several in my library.
Hope you had a great time!
Martha

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hey Diva, did you get a chance to go??? Any pics????

Gardenmart & flowerjen,

That's funny - I'd been meaning to report back, and kept not getting around to it! Thanks for both the info and the "nudge". ;->

We wound up going to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, mainly for time/travel reasons, and it was well worth the trip. We probably got most of it covered, and from what I hear, the NYBG is much larger, so I'd have been frustrated to miss anything!

I did take a few pictures (heh, heh, heh), and will be happy to share as soon as this crazy graduation weekend (travel, gatherings, etc.) is over. The grounds were lovely, and the cherry trees were hitting their peak when we were there.

Here are a few close up shots of some of the pretty daffs that were in bloom...

This one is 'Ceylon'

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219

This was a pretty soft yellow triandrus called "Stint".

A very pretty pure white, named 'Vigil'

And finally for now, 'Las Vegas' - it was HUGE.

More scenery/landscape pics after the weekend if you're interested.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That Vigil is gorgeous.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

NYBG does have the huge Enid Haupt Conservatory as well as the grounds. you can enjoy this garden at any time of year. If you are in New York at Christmas time, they have a wonderful model train display that runs all throughout the Conservatory. Trains are models of those that have served New York over the centuries, and there are model houses and buildings of notable,historic, tourist attraction buildings placed all along the tracks. These are made out of dried plant material. It's really a marvel in itself!
My sister-in-law and her family live in Queens now, but used to live in the Bronx so we get down there fairly often. It's worth more than one trip at different seasons. Hope you can get there sometime.
Martha

Thanks, Martha! We've decided that the weekend in NYC is an excellent birthday gift from our son & DIL, so it may become an annual tradition. I know what you mean about different seasons too. Brooklyn looked like it would be reallly nice when the roses began to bloom.

I am a HUGE fan of conservatories, and have enjoyed the Phipps in Pittsburgh as well as Longwood Gardens conservatory. You can spend hours in each, and they are the best place to get a gardening "fix" in the winter!

I appreciate your input, and will save it for future trips. NYBG will be at the top of the list!..........Barb

flowerjen,

Isn't it though? It was just so perfect in shape and color! I might have to find that one for sale somewhere this fall..........Barb

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's a daylily from the NYBG trip my daughter and i took. Didn't catch the name.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pretty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.