Compairing Florentine Silk and Poem of Ecstasy

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I saw pictures of both of these on other threads and went nuts for both. But they look so similiar in pictures. What are the differences? When you see pictures of two such similiar looking flowers, both of which are stunners, how do you decide which to choose to buy?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I bought Florentine Silk because I liked it better than Poem of Ecstacy at the Oklahoma show. Don't know if that was a fair judgment though, after seeing Dee's beautiful row of Poem of Ecstasy. Maybe you could buy one of each and let us know which is prettiest. Sounds like a fun experiment! Maybe Dee will have something to add on this subject.

Thats the point. I only have a small amount of space in the two garden rows plus another section, that I have ready to plant already for iris. I have to be very selective in what I buy because not much will fit. In fact, I was just out there measuring off spaces and puting in little markers to see how it will all lay out. I don't want to get two very similiar. I want to go for everything being different.

Of course, being the way I am, those small spaces are not enough so I am planning another bed and wondering how many would fit there. I am very bad at guessing and the only way I will know what to get is after the bed is done and I measure out and put stakes were each plant should go like I am doing now. But I can't get to that until at least end of May. Since they ship bearded iris in July, maybe I can do one order now for whats ready and then do another order for my new bed. Don't know what else to do.

South Hamilton, MA

Talk to Dee about which plant might be more hardy. Same?? Different? I have seen florentine silk & like it very much.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

(Ben Hager, R. 1995). Sdlg. T5431Pk/DpLv. TB, 36" (91 cm), M.
S. clear peach pink; F. smooth deep lavender; beards soft tangerine; fluted, ruffled. T4235CrPk/Lv: (Merry Madrigal x Mother Earth) X Adventuress. Cooley 1997.

POEM OF ECSTASY

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Poem of Ecstasy was the daddy for Florentine Silk. Pinkish puff edges and beards blue at end. I like this one the best, although they both are pretty.

Keith Keppel, R. 2004). Sdlg. 99-116A. TB, 40" (102 cm), ML.
S. peach (M&P 9-A-4), slight orchid (41-E-5) basal infusion; style arms peach, orchid midrib; F. medium violet (41-J-9), narrow pinkish buff (42-D-3) edge; beards light blue at end, base lavender white, carrot red (10-C-10) in throat. 96-45E, Crystal Gazer sib, X Poem of Ecstasy. Keppel 2005.

FLORENTINE SILK

Thumbnail by Mshadow
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have Florentine Silk but wouldn't turn up my nose at Poem of Ecstacy, either.

Cherryvale, KS

I grow both! I think FS is the better formed plant. pic FS at OKC

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

We have grown both, Florentine Silk is a richer color here, and thicker petals. We had 2 different hills of Poem of Ecstasy growing fine, and both bloomed out last spring. FS is a slower increaser here for us in zone 6b.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What causes bloom out. Does anyone know?

Tomah, WI

Here is my stupid question of the day- What is bloom out?

I also want to know what bloom out is. Was wondering and going to post to ask but you beat me to it.

Lebanon, OR

Bloom out is when an has bloomstalks on every single rhizome. NOW before you panic like I did years ago, remember mother rhizomes my not ever bloom again but many times if planted back on one of your iris it will produce more babies.

D

So every rhizome blooming is bad? In daylilies we love it if every fan blooms.

South Hamilton, MA

We hope there will be more fans later in the year, new fans are next years bloom.

Lebanon, OR

You also wanted to know my opinion on FS and POE, both have equal value as I grow both, POE blooms later than FS here, but near perfect iris.

D

South Hamilton, MA

Having a similiar color pick up when one flower has finished blooming gives a longer season. a good excuse for having flowers which resemble each other. Just keep them marked properly so you know which is which. chart your beds, says she who doesn't do it.

Lebanon, OR

Oh same Lucy I have charts and on CD and on flash drive.

D

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Our Poem of Ecstasy has never bloomed, and/or died. The reason I know, I don't have any photos of it! Waaaa.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Dee and Lucy for telling us why we need both. Makes sense. I have one, need the other.
What they didn't mention about bloomout is that sometimes, the iris doesn't make any new increases after every rhizome blooms and then you have no more of that iris. It dies. I have had fruit trees bloom like crazy, set fruit, then die. It is because they are unhappy. Don't know if that is true of iris, but I suspect so. A last gasp before passing away.
Anyone care to answer this for me? Also a beginner.

South Hamilton, MA

Too enthusaistic to begin with & no energy left. Happens at times.

Gee, that sound like what is wrong with me!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Really. Me, too.

Allentown, NJ(Zone 6b)

My "Triple Whammy" tried to' bloom out' a few years ago. I had some visitors from the regional iris society and one gentleman told me to cut the bloom. (It was new and blooming on the only rhizome, no increase) I cut it and enjoyed it inside and two years later, last yr, "Triple Whammy" has started producing and blooming again.

South Hamilton, MA

That way, the energy goes into growth instead of flowering. Some plants need help in direction.

My final choice was Florentine Silk although I really do like them both.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love Florentine Silk. Would love to have both, though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.