Lawns + Cats = Brown

Linden, NC

We have a Centipede grass sodded lawn. The backyard is enclosed by a cat fence in which our 22 (rescued, spayed/neutered) cats are free to use. We think that the uric acid from cat urine has caused multiple brown patches.

Does anyone have a suggestion for hardier grass, something that we can put on the grass without harming the cats, or an alternative groundcover planting?

We're in Linden, NC. Thank you.

Thumbnail by dekdak
Durham, NC(Zone 7b)

There are some 'patch' things you can buy, I have seen some by scotts and such but you might want to post this on the Pets forum as they have a lot of experience with these issues and similar. Someone who has already gone through the same thing probably :-)

I wish you the best, that is wonderful of you to take in that many cats!! (I have 6 big dogs and 3 cats :-))

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Female dogs will leave brown patches in centipede but the males don't. Strange side fact but not useful to you.

You should be able to grow bent grass where you are I would check into that. I know more about the hot weather grasses so I can't help you much.

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

Do you have to have grass? Perhaps a good groundcover? But be careful, my inside cat eats/gnaws on everything.

Linden, NC

Thank you for the replies. We are willing to go with some type of groundcover that won't be toxic to the cats if/when they eat it. I was wondering if there was a hardy herb that might work. Thyme?

Huntersville, NC

there SI the stuff we have here - called "Bermuda Grass"
- but found in many garden books as a weed.

it does well in our Carolina heat and sun and is extremely hardy!

you may consider asking a cat website about this grass . . .

just my 2cents

Kannapolis, NC

Bermuda grass is the bane of my existence! I spend hours and hours pulling the darn stuff out. Once you have it you have it forever. Nothing kills it. Hate, hate, hate it.

Maybe some thyme or even low growing catnip!

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

you could use catnip!
LOL

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Bermuda Grass is a weed and will take over. I to have had issues near my bird feeder with bermuda grass.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.