Can anyone ID please?

Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

Can anyone ID please?

Thumbnail by TroubleX2
Montgomery, TX(Zone 9a)

ANOTHER SHOT

Thumbnail by TroubleX2
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Trouble, it looks like old amaryllis fairy tale.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Ummh... IS "Fairy Tale" veritably that old?! Vroni gives us the information, in "Hippeastrum, THe Gardener's Amaryllis, (p. 94) that it was bred from the Company Penning Breeding BV The Netherlands, and Breeder's Right were achieved not before 1998.
"Fairy Tale" is, after directing a closer inspection on the flower, obviously a Papilio Hybrid. The red rim "à la Papilio" (not à la Picotee) IS present, and the upper segments on the right and left side are somewhat broader than is usual for TETs (Fairytale IS a Tet)
If I had to describe it then I would spontaneously state: It looks like the exact intermediate between "Baby Star" (a member o the "gracilis" group - a TET) and "Giraffe" (obviously a Papilio hybrid; I presume out of crossing H.papilio with H.evansiae and it is (thus) a DIP).

But the flower shown here IS with certainty from an older or very old hybrid, one "heirloom amaryllis" - for these it is very difficult if not impossible to perform an exact identification.

Solingen, Germany(Zone 7a)

Sorry, one correction:
Certainly, "FairyTale" was bred BY or AT Penning Breeding BV, The Netherlands.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Can anyone identify these AM's for me, they were gifts around Christmas...you know the typical bulb in the box for the holidays so I don't think they are unusual cultivars.
Thanks

This message was edited May 6, 2009 9:31 AM

Thumbnail by DATURA12
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

This double red is the one I cannot identify. I think the others with it are Apple Blossom, but not sure.

Thumbnail by DATURA12
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

referring to the double red posted: would it be Double Dragon or Red Nymph? All are certainly very pretty! I've not seen the doubles in the stores around the holidays, just the singles.

Kathy

This message was edited May 20, 2009 12:37 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.