sealand gem

Delaware, OH

does anyone have clematis sealand gem? i have scartho gem on order. many mentions of sealand gem in older clem books, but i can not find it anywhere.
have looked everywhere i think. just wanted to know if anyone had an idea about where to find it.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Ditto! I just received Scartho Gem, but have never grown Sealand Gem. Is Sealand Gem even available for sale in the U.S.?

Delaware, OH

if i find out i will let you know as i plan to have both.
sealand, as you probably know is a beautifull shell pink form the looks of COTW pic.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Just a lurker here, but are ya'll getting these ads in the upper left-hand corner ? I am not sure how they work, but gardenvines.com is advertising they have this for $14.95.

Delaware, OH

OMG bizarre or bazaar
weird and weirder. i will buy immediately. i never look at the ads, this is so cool and bizarre! i am going to the bazaar!

Delaware, OH

n 2 birds....many thanks. i guess i should peek at the ads. i already had an order to be shipped at brushwood and made a quick trip to the brushwood bazaar just added sealand gem on don't know how i missed that on their site. thanks so much ya gotta have sealand if you have scartho!

thanks again.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Just glad you found it ! What is it about this one that stricks you so ? The size of the bloom?

Delaware, OH

no, and i am not even overly crazy about anything bi colored. but i am a collector. both are from the UK, raised in late 50's. scartho is a pennell release from that period (early 60's)
not sure who released sealand but it is from 1957.

i like to grow the plants raised some time back an discussed in some of the early clem books from that period or earlier.

seems like the right thing to do. one thing i notice about sealand gem however, is that the outer margins are wavy like a gilllian blades and i think it might be quite a pretty flower. i wlll plant in a pretty sunny location so it is more bleached out vs shady area where the bi color aspect will show more.

call me crazy......

thanks again. hope you see it and get it shirley!

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Are y'all talking about the upper left hand corner of this page? All I have up there is a Home Depot ad :-{

Thanks for the Clematis alert, n2birds. I totally ignore all the blatant advertising, so I never even saw it.

I haven't decided if I'm going to get "Sealand Gem". Too many look-a-likes for my taste.

Delaware, OH

shirley, i get that. i actually sometimes think about pulling my nelly m's out (have 2 displays of them) and they are as irritating as a stargazer lilly to me. i used to have oodels of stargazers and pulled them out for casablancas and species lillys. but different strokes.....as they say.

the wavy margin and pale bi color are what sold me as well as the history of the clem. AND, if it is anything like gillian blades was to establish for me 6 yrs ago, it won't take up much room. that's my final thought!
and of course i added two others to my huge brushwood order at the same time. i have so many clems coming in this spring...would be embarrassed to tell you, but i thought, if not now, when? and get on with establishing them!

can't believe i missed it on brushwood and thanks n2birds for the heards up, guesss i shoul ook at the ads from time to time too!

Delaware, OH

i think the way the wavy outer margin differentiates it,kind of a nelly and gilian b feel to it.
i will do a sunny spot to have as little of the nelly feel as possible. will also grow it near scartho gem.

there is also a victorian clem mentioned by robinson in some of his writings, "blue gem". will be on the look out for that one too.

I used to want every Hosta I could get my hands on. After a short time, I couldn't tell one apart from the other without deliberately reading the name on the tag. That's why I trying to be more selective with my Clematis. Plus, I'm running out of room in my garden! Yes I agree. "Different strokes for different folks".

Delaware, OH

i hear ya. i can't even remember the names of my hostas or all the sedum. only the clems. no room for any other addictions. i will let all concerned know how good a clem sealand gem is and if the wavy outer margin is a s pretty as gillian blades or some of the pics!
i do like a lot of the ones bred in the 50's and 60's in the UK tho.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.