Not A Good Place To Raise Children

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I believe it's a Carolina Wren that decided to make a nest in one of my hanging baskets which had smaller pots in it. The basket is hanging off a shelf which holds all my pots. I'm afraid she may abandon the nest because I am back there a lot.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Huntersville, NC

We discovered some of our birds trying to do the same thing!
. . . so we watched and chased them away
so they would not make their nest in that area.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Every Spring I'm chasing birds out of the greenhouse trying to nest in there. The little buggers dig out a hole in the soil of a potted plant then proceed to make a nest.

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I have chased them away from building nests in the garage and on our back porch before.

Wrens nested this time in a large pot that is on a shelf in my "greenhouse" - actually shelves with a plastic zip cover. The eggs were already there by the time I discovered it.

I took everything out but the plants that were on that same shelf and was in there watering every other day. The parents gave me some grief, but didn't move out. The babies fledged out today. :)

I did manage to get one pic of not great quality yesterday.
If you enlarge it, you can see one of them giving me the eye. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness that's SO PRECIOUS!!

Johns Island, SC

Carolina Wrens will nest anywhere and everywhere! I've found them in some unbelievable places...like in my "weather tight" garden shed (still can't figure out how they get in there!), under the house (4 nests---3 on support pillars, one on the highest shelf over a potting bench), under the gauge cover on the gas tank for the greenouse, in the greenhouse (one in a tipped over empty 1 gal. pot on a bench, another in the drawer under the potting bench---I always leave the drawer open because I'm old and feeble---and lazy). They are such cute, chipper, and audacious birds that I can't bring myself to chase them off or discourage them.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The mama is definitely sitting on the eggs ... she's scared the beejeebers out of me twice when I went after pots.

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Guess you have guests until she's done. :)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah .. how long til they hatch? And why is a Blue Jay seemingly interested in the nest?

X

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

They seems to like my news paper box. Mailman doesn't like that much. LOL. They shoot out when he tries to open the mail box.

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

CoreHHI, that just cracks me up!

I once left the garage door (the lift-up one) open a crack over a weekend and one flew under it and found an old boot tipped on its side on my shelf - I found out when I walked by and she darted out- I just about wet myself because I sure did not expect it! - I had to leave the doggone door unlocked and open for a week before I got her to realize that she could go in and out of the side door.

I love those little birds, though, they are so adorable and cheerful and they sing and sing.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I had one nest in my tipped over water bucket on my front porch last summer. You can imagine my surprise when I went to water my plants. Good thing I had two watering buckets. :-)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm checking everyday .. still eggs.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Still eggs .. gestation is 12 - 14 days so it should be any day now!

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Hope you get to see the little ones!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm checking every day in the morning and afternoon .. any day now! I'll post pictures when they arrive.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They are hatching! It started this morning. I'll check again late this afternoon and take another picture.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They've all hatched .. now it gets interesting! They are suppose to fledge in 2 weeks.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here is the hanging basket they are in.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh gosh they are precious little balls of fluff!
Thanks so much for taking all of these pictures. It's been so interesting following their progress :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

X. I appreciate you alerted me to your thread. It's so wonderful to follow the progress of those little ones! Isn't this the best time of year? I just love it.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They still look like blobs this morning.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Looking forward to daily updates. :)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Me too! .. here is the picture for this evening .. what a difference a few hours and a good meal make. I've been watching mom & dad feeding them all day. They no longer look like pink blobs. All eyes & beaks now.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

Bwahahaha! I guess the fluff I saw was the nest lining, they're nekkid as can be! Bless their little bitty hearts :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

They're so ummm sweet!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They are growing and a bit more animated. The star in this picture was born with feathers coming in on his head already. You can see it in the first picture of the babies .. its the one with the Groucho Marx eyebrows.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I missed last evening picture because it was very windy, lighting and thundering. Here is this mornings. It's astonishing how fast they grow!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

X, they're just soooo sweet looking.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They are! .. couldn't take an evening pix again cause of weather.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Pix for today. Those wing feathers are really growing!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, I see those delicate wing feathers!!! Does the parent get 'upset' when you take pix or get close to the nest? I know Cardinals, especially the papa cardinal get really perturbed when I'm seemingly getting too close to their nest. Also, I afraid the Wrens may abandon theirs if I made them feel threatened?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I sit on my back porch and wait til I see both of them searching for food. Then I go in for the shot. I'm sure they do mind that I am by the nest, but then again, I've been near it since they started building it and since they kept building it and are raising a family I'm thinking they tolerate it.

X

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks X. I've a brood here, and they (? I saw at least one) baby that's a tad further along. They're such sweetness. I put the bottle gourd out there for decorating purpose, didn't know I attracted Carolina wrens. It was a happy occurrence.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

As Stono said, they will nest anywhere.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Mom & Dad must be doing a good job feeding! They went from naked to fluff overnight and they are getting darker.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

It's amazing how fast they do grow. Indeed the parents are doing a good job! Congrats on capturing those prescious pictures X.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks .. it's really fun seeing the changes from one day to the next.

X

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

So cute! This is great to see.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Their eyes are open!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.