A friend's going to Hawaii, Need some plant suggestions.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

She's traveling next week, and she's a plant buff. Wants to have them shipped back, needs suggestions on what to buy. She likes everything. LOL

I suggested the hardy hedychiums she liked that idea.

Can you suggest some tropicals and other things that are hardy in zone 7.

I need to give her a list of what to help her look for. She's like me, likes the unusual.

no vines, I don't think she's into fruit either. Like bananas and such, she loves fragrance though.

Keaau, HI

Gardenia augusta varieties and Jasminum sambac 'Flore Pleno' are a couple easy to grow Tropicals with a nice fragrance.
Most plants that do well in Hawai'i can't handle cold weather; the plants you bring back most likely will need to be indoors for winter.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

She has a huge sunroom she can put them in, And those hedychiums are hardy here.

She's having these plants shipped back.

I appreciate the help. thanks

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

On hardyness I can give you any help...best she do is to drive to a location similar to hers in climate (Volcano?) and see what they are growing. She should have a plant guide as to zones with her... No one here in the warm and wonderful growing belt will be able to advise her on hardyness as we don't have to experience it....

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

They don't have to be hardy plants either.

Keaau, HI

Osmanthus fragrans, Kwai-Fah; Citrus limon, Lemon; Crinum augustum, Queen Emma Lily; Phaius tankervilliae, Nun's Hood Orchid; Plumeria rubra, Frangipani; come to mind for fragrance!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Any of the gardenias, tabernaemontanas, also come to mind: Jasmin 'sambac (pikake), Puakenikeni....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.