Some plants in bloom right now.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Clematis, looks like the GA forum needs some spring pictures.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2009 10:03 PM

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

NOID Iris

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Another, amarylisis

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Bottle bush is in full bloom now.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

We've gotten a lot of rain down on the coast looks like everything is off to a good start, hope you folks up North are getting a good amount of rain.

Looks like a very good year for my citrus trees, flowers all over them.

Cartersville, GA

CoreHHI--Do you know the name of the clematis in the first picture? Ours has just started blooming, too. I would like to know the name now, since I did not bother to keep the name when I planted it years ago and do not recall where I got it. It is beautiful every year and is a good bloomer for us.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The label said Barbara Jackman when I bought it but someone said last year that they think the ID is wrong. As far as I can tell the ID is right.

Cartersville, GA

Thank you. I'll write down the name so I will remember.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

CoreHHI, love the picture of the Bottle bush. When we move to Brunswick, I want to plant some in my back yard. Does it take them long to grow big and are they easy to care for? Do the hummers and butterflies like them?? I didn't know what they were until I went to my brother's place last April in Oldfield, SC off Rt. 170. Also, saw alot of them around Brunswick, GA. Here in Tidewater, VA I have a Pieris Japonica (I think that's how to spell it) and it's in full bloom now.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Oops. Callistemon or Bottlebrush. Typed a little to fast I guess. Common on the coast, evergreen and pretty much grow like weeds. Plant and forget. That bottlebrush in the picture is probably 7 years old and is planted in between a few tall pines. It's also been pruned into that shape. Very easy to grow and come in a few varieties, pink, weeping etc. Mine blooms heavily in the spring and then it flowers again later in the year but much fewer flowers.

BTW it's really to early for the hummers, what does work is morning glories. Every evening I get a bunch of humming birds feeding in the MG's. Word of warning, MG's can get out of control

Hope that helps.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

That helps alot and I will probably be asking for more assistance once I start landscaping my yard. Right now we are building a house between Darien & Brunswick and it will be next spring before I really get in to gardening. Staying in an apt. until the house is built (bummer). We move in less than two weeks!!!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I planted a bottlebrush last fall. It is only 2 sticks with leaves right now. Hope it gets big like yours in a few years. I've got a lot of azaleas in bloom now. And hummers are here. Saw my 1st on on 4/1.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Closeup of the red one. It is a deeper red than the picture shows.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

White one.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Pink.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Creeping phlox.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Periwinkle.

Thumbnail by beclu727
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

How pretty your azaleas are. Here's a pic of my dogwood in bloom right now.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Azaleas in my back yard.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful flipflops. Those azaleas are lovely. My dogwoods are fading now. Good luck with your move. Brunswick is probably zone 8a or 8b, so you'll have a long gardening season. I am near Atlanta, cooler and no ocean breezes.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

It's going to take a long time getting my new place as established as what we have here and I'm no spring chicken LOL I will have fun starting with a fresh palet and different plants for the coastal south. That's where I will need help from all my DG friends!! I will finally have a live oak tree with moss. Can't be anymore southern than that except for sweet tea on the front porch :-) Can't wait!!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Depending on how close you are to the water Brunswick will be zone 9a. If you're on the water you will be 9b and almost frost free. What surprises people is how fast plants will grow around here, long growing season so everything just has longer to grow. What always hits me funny is the people who move down here from Ohio, they all love maples. A maple is a weed where I am but the Ohio people just go into shock when they see how fast they grow here. Apparently maples take forever to grow in Ohio. LOL>

Flipflops you're probably going to have a problem with what you can't grow or can't grow in the full sun in Brunswick, not a huge change for you but things like tulips are not going to come back for you. GA and SC are loaded with peach trees but I can't grow a normal peach because it simply doesn't get cold enough here (low chill hours). Citrus does fine and many other fruit trees but it is different from VA. I can tell you I have no luck with hostas, very few of those will grow for me most just burnt to a cinder. There are many other popular plants that just will not like the heat and humidity in Brunswick.

If and when you need help the SC forum has a good bunch of low country gardeners who know how to plant sub tropicals and they are many knowledge people around DG so just ask.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Figured I'd post some things that are now finally blooming in my yard. Here's Enchanted Evening rose. The blooms are prettier than the plant. I just got this plant last fall and it seems very temperamental.

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Angel Face rose

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Tuscan Sun rose. Got this last fall. Love it!

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Climbing peace rose. This plant is very old and belonged to my grandfather. The blooms are about 7" wide.

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Close up of Peace rose

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Heaven on Earth rose. This rose is unstoppable and pretty disease resistant.

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

May Night salvia

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Sweet William

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Phlox divaricata

Thumbnail by erdooley
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Hardy geranium. This is just starting to bloom. One of my favorites when it's at its peak.

Thumbnail by erdooley
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I like the tuscan sun rose too. I have way to much purple going on, need some other colors and except for some orange cosmos I have nothing orange.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.