Where Do I Start? really need some suggestions...

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Hello All,
Since all of DGers are so helpful and I have received such wonderful advice I thought I'd start here on this seemingly not so popular forum. I must get things in order for my elderly Mom in not so good health. I want to get all the legal stuff dealt with to make the transition into assisted living (when the time comes) or her passing. She has very little income, and I am still living from paycheck to the next. There is no other family and I don't want her to loose her house to pay for residential care. We are currently working on the medical power of attorney. I was shocked to find out she has no will except for a living will. We have recently put my name on her savings and checking accounts and I am an authorized name on one of her credit cards. This is basically all that has been done. I'm got dozens of questions if not more and have no idea of where to even get this type of information. We cannot afford to hire a lawyer. The main question I have at this point is where do I start? Are there speciality groups or associations that can hold my hand and walk me through these processes?

This thread has 34 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!