OT - for all you Hula Lovers

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The big Hula competition, Merrie Monarch Festival, is happening next Friday/Sat/Sunday and the competition will stream 'live' on KITV 4 ... I will try to get the URL for you... Friday is competition for the best single dancer who will dance both Kahiko (the old style) and the Auana (after the missionaries came). Sat. is Kahiko dancing mens and womens groups and Sunday is the Auana dancing in groups. I am pretty sure I have the days right.

TV/Computer is really a good way to enjoy them as the commentaries give a lot of information... but the feeling and atmosphere at the Competition is really special!!!!

Enjoy

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI

I vote for Hula Kahiko!

The girls are always dressed beautifully, and adorned with native plants and flowers!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

GREAT photo, Dave.

OK...here is a link to take you to the main page...watch previous competitions etc. The Kahiko Hula is wonderful...love watching the men!!! You will see why!!! All of the costumes are coordinated with the chant/song they are dancing...materials, colors etc., as well as the flowers and plants they wear....

http://www.kitv.com/merriemonarch/index.html?treets=hon&tml=hon_12pm&ts=T&tmi=hon_12pm_1_05000104132009

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Agree with Carol, there's a handsome guy with smiling eyes!

I will definitely watch, I've never seen any Hula dances or dancers, but it must be awesome! Thanks, Carol!
Alexandra

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.