Grub emergency!

Franklin, MI(Zone 5b)

We seem to have a large grub infestation at our house. I had a big problem with japanese beetles last summer, and just found out through reading that these grubs are the baby beetles. At any rate, I am trying to determine the best course of action. I've done quite a bit of reading, and it seems there are basically two alternatives for a quick turn-around (1) chemicals, and (2) beneficial nematodes. What I am unclear about is which methods will be effective NOW. I understand with the nematodes that I have to wait until the soil temp is at least 50 degrees before using. Will the grubs be too big then for this treatment to be effective??? If we go the chemical route - how effective is it? Since treatments seem to be very dependant on time of year and temps, I am curious as to what other Michigan gardners have tried and had success with. I would rather go the organic route, but any feedback would be appreciated. Either way - I plan to start using milky spores this year for a long lasting treatment.

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Bayer has awesome products...grubex is a good one...I wouldn't wait to long though...get something on there now....milkyspore is the ultimate way to go as I will be doing the same this year...good luck!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Grub-X

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Here's a link to MSU as to what to use NOW.

Each product has to be used at the right time.

Paul

http://www.turf.msu.edu/docs/Home_Lawn_Grub_Control_2008.pdf

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

I use Merit, most grub insecticides need to be put down in June when they start to emerge.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.