What viburnum is this?

Kannapolis, NC

Can anyone help me identify which viburnum this is? Can't find the tag, of course. It is fragrant.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2009 6:07 AM

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's a somewhat blurred image of the bloom:

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Similar to Viburnum tinus, but doesn't look completely right for it.

Resin

Kannapolis, NC

TY, Resin, and for your help on that weed that's eating my house and garden! It would be poetic justice to eat it, wouldn't it?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Hemophobic:

Show us the whole plant! So many of these voluptuous Viburnum look quite alike at really close range. I'm assuming this is an evergreen species for you, since it looks like there is some of last year's foliage (larger, darker) in there, along with new growth this season (smaller, lighter).

A shot of a branch with leaves against a neutral surface (go ahead and cut one off, it looks healthy as a horse) would help a lot, too.

Kannapolis, NC

ViburnumValley: TY and will do as soon as weather cooperates! It's a spreading, low-growing species. I have others, a burkwoodii, nearer the house and it's more upright. I'll get a photo of a branch and the whole plant so you can see it better. Sorry again about that blurry closeup.

Spreading...low-growing...some fragrance...sounds suspiciously like Viburnum x 'Conoy'.

Kannapolis, NC

VV: It's raining now so I'll get that photo as soon as the rain stops.

Kannapolis, NC

VV: Here's a collage of various photos of that viburnum. Does this help?

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

What? Are you going to melt? Just don't hold a golf club over your head, and get out there in that thunderstorm and point/shoot.....bbbbzzzzzzzzttttttttttttttt.

At least it would be while admiring a fine viburnum specimen.

I'm sure that's our 'Conoy' boy (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/153782/). Take a look (and a picture) of the underside of the leaf. It should be silvery pubescent.

Then, add some of those good collage shots to the PlantFiles!

If you have other similar viburnum in bloom now (like V. x burkwoodii), then you should be rewarded with a lot of bright red fruit this summer and into fall before they mature to black. These can be rather stunning...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Kannapolis, NC

VV: No; I surely wouldn't melt. However, I don't do downpours, which is what we were having at the time. If anything, I'd probably acidify the soil, not sweeten it!

(Zone 7a)

You two are hilarious!!! LOL

Seriously, though, I have a question. I ordered a Blue Muffin that will be delivered next week. I want more viburnums but am not sure which ones? I'm probably looking to get 3 more, one of which will be a V. plicatum.

There are no bad viburnums; only a paucity (sounds like a community of pets...).

IF you want ample fruiting opportunities, add another different Viburnum dentatum clone to partner with Blue MuffinŽ and another V. plicatum (var. tomentosum?) clone to go with your intended. Now...there's a marriage.

Kannapolis, NC

VV: I've never had berries on my burkwoodii, but maybe I see the reason why in your response to Kwanjin. I don't have another viburnum (except for that unknown) anywhere in my yard, so I guess I need to add another one? Maybe what I have is not in fact burkwoodii but another mislabeled plant, of which I seem to have a plethora. I'll keep checking and digging around in the dirt to see if I can find the label on it.

(Zone 7a)

Gotcha. Thanks, VV.

Hemophobic:

You can post a pic (or several) of the "alleged" V. x burkwoodii, and we can go at the ID again.

IF it is blooming at the same time as the 'Conoy', you should be getting pollination if you have flying bugs around. If they don't overlap in bloom time, then you probably won't. If it isn't a Burkwood Viburnum or anything else close in parentage to 'Conoy', then that'll be the problem as well.

Kannapolis, NC

TY, VV. I'll check on this, because I believe there is a label hidden somewhere near the soil line. I'll let you know.

Kannapolis, NC

VV: Checked the underside of the leaf on my mystery viburnum and it is silvery, so your ID must be correct as `Conoy.' I'll label it as such.

Now, about my burkwoodii, the label I found was completely blank, nothing left to read, so I'll have to post some photos next spring when it puts back out again. I pruned it back hard this year as it was growing far too tall. It smells divine, though, when it blooms.

Thanks for all your help.

Angie

If you want, you can post pictures of new growth (leaves, buds, stems) from this summer's growth. Often that is enough.

Kannapolis, NC

VV: Here is a collage of the new growth on the suspected V. burkwoodii. Does this look familiar?

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

Familiar, yes. Positive ID, no. There are several Viburnum that it could be with only that stage of growth represented.

I'm guessing you cut the whole thing to the ground? I could've ID'd it before you did that...

Oh well. Resurrect the thread when there is more plant to look at.

Kannapolis, NC

VV: Yes; I did cut the whole thing to the ground as there was no other logical place to prune it the way it was growing. I'll post some photos next spring or this fall when it's farther along. TY

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.