Is Echinacea Tiki Torch an Annual?

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I planted 4 Tiki Torch last spring and only 1 returned this year. Is 25% a good enough return rate to be called a perennial? These new coneflowers are pathetic in the real world.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That would have me furious....not good at all!

Glad that I didn't jump on that one and get it. After getting burned with a few of the others. Think I will stick to rudbeckias for now and see how these new ones fare.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2009 7:40 AM

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

did you keep your receipt perennials are guarrantied for one year so go get new ones is it possible something eat them or that they are late coming up

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

im watching for signs of mine!

I am trying to clear all the leaves since I know they wont come up till the leaves are gone but can only do so much each day my rubeckias are up but they are in a sheltered spot with full sun and that was the first bed I cleaned a month ago and they are still very small

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi, I've never posted on this forum before but happened across this thread. I planted three Tiki Torch last year and all three have come back up this spring and seem to be thriving. I love their color, they keep the bright orange much longer than the Sundown which fades in just a few days to a pastel in my garden.

I have 1 that is growing right now. I'm going to try and take a cutting from it tonight and make more. My cuttings always do better than the ones I buy.

I planted echis in three different locations last spring and two locations are up and doing great and the third well it does get more shade nothing yet so will have to wait and see what happens with them if nothing comes up by the end of may will just plant other stuff in that location, I am not so upset since I grew them from seed so I got 20 plants for a 1.69 but still all the work is what is the cost right

My Paradoxa plants are going to be beautiful this year! These are all in the same bed so I can't understand why Tiki Torch did so poorly. At least the one plant which returned has extra basal growth! I am very good at Echinacea cuttings. I will have 3 by the end of the season!

the do get pretty large as a plant by the third year I would not worry about it

I pronounced my Sunset dead this afternnoon. I need to try the native type. These hybrids are just not cutting it...*sigh*

try fertilizing them usually hybrids just need a little love the first year and some mulch in th e fall mine are all up now some are still small since I started them from seed last year but they will give me a few blooms this year thats ok I will be patient next year they will be large full and beautifull just have patients

echis do need a couple of years to really give there best and then it just gets better every year after that

Sunset was gorgeous last year. This would have been year 3 for it and After Midnight both. I think my clay soil is just to wet for them!

maybe certainly if it melted and the froze in ice maybe that did it

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i planted 4 and i have 2 that made it!

and they will now get so much bigger and you can always collect seeds at the end of the season and add them at the bottom of the plant for more babies for next year

Lehighton, PA

About half of mine came back.. pretty weak if you ask me..

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

one more is up but tiny!!! so i have 3 out of 4

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Sometimes they appear to be dead and/or not making it through the winter. Last spring I might have given up on a few of them too early and dug them out. This spring I just let them be for a lot longer and was surprised a good percentage of the pathetic looking ones finally came around. The last one to finally come around was Echinacea "Hope". I was sure that one was a gonner and then it just took off about a month ago. Tiki Torch was also another one that was pretty slow to get going,

Jon

Upstate, NY(Zone 5a)

My Tiki Torch is so small!! It will soon be 1 year old and it still looks like a plug. Really it only has 1 leaf on the whole plant. I'm not giving up I just had hoped for more!!

zone 5a echis are just coming up and if its not in full sun it will take even longer to come up some of mine are a foot tall sheltered in full sun and then ones on the north side and just coming out of the ground now

My Tiki Torch so far isn't any larger than it was last year. At least it's more promising in regards to blooming this year. I believe it's already bloomed more this year than it did all of last summer. Here in South Florida they really don't completely die back in the winter. They die back somewhat but basically go into a dormant stage with no new growth and no blooming. The only exception for me was Echinacea "Sundown" which continued to bloom somewhat throughout the whole winter. One of my poorer bloomers last year was "Harvest Moon", but that one was the first to really get going again this spring and looks the best of the 15, or so, I have. Where do you live in Upstate, NY dpoitras? I'm originally from Ithaca in Upstate, NY and also went to college there at Cornell University.

Jon

echies are at there best in the third year and then just keep getting better from there it seems that they will bloom forever such an amazing plant love them I collect every new one I find I got a pink poodle a couple of weeks ago I am so wanting to see it bloom

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing "Pink Poodle" bloom also. I didn't have any "doubles" until this year. Pink Poodle has a long way to go before its going to bloom here. Coconut Lime is only a few days away from its first bloom. I'm not sure if I'm going to like the doubles as much, but figured you really can't decide just by looking at a picture.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

4 for 4 but they are TINY

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

My TT has also returned and is half again larger than it was in the first year. Have a while to wait for blooms. Also have PP and it looks like a nice big healthy plant already. Looking forward to seeing it bloom as well. Both CL returned for the third year. They are my fav new one so far because the blooms last for a very long time. I think you will enjoy them Jon.

I like Coconut Lime too. Pink Double Delight is nice too.

Tiki Torch is pitiful though. It would be nice if someone could produce a nice, healthy orange or red coneflower, wouldn't it!

Good to hear that all 4 made it through the winter notmartha. They do take their time don't they. I hope you're right about Coconut Lime ngam. I just ordered "Coconut Lime" this March and here's what it's looking like as of this morning.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Here's a photo from this morning of a first bloom on "Green Eyes". I also ordered this one back in March this year.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5b)

I've never seen Green Eyes before, really neat color contrast. Also looks like s/he's about to jump in the pool for a swim :-)

She was gonna do a cannonball into the pool, but she backed off a little. It finally rained today for the first time in 3 or 4 weeks.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm jealous--still no rain on the horizon for us South Texans.

wow thats a pretty one

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that Echinacea "Green Eyes" doesn't seem to be more popular due to it's uniqueness.
Jon

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

I like green eyes also. the color is such a vibrant hot pink, i think i have a picture somwhere also comparing it to my pink razr phone.

Thumbnail by GreenThumbsTN

That's a good choice for showing its color. I decided to cut mine off and put it in a vase with a few others this weekend. Thanks for the advice on my Echinacea "Mac N Cheese. I did exactly what you recommended and also repotted it in new soil. I added some extra perlite to the soil also just to help it from remaining too damp.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Plymouth, IN(Zone 5a)

amorecuore, what a beautiful combo all those colorful echis make!

I planted one Tiki Torch last year. It has come back and I'm hoping for bloom this year. :)

Melanie

Thanks Melanie. It sounds like your Tiki Torch should bloom this year. Mine came back and has bloomed although it really hasn't grown in size much so far this year. I just like to mix it up with the colors out there and try to find as many colors as I can.
Jon

the only thing I can think of that would kill echie is wet feet if you plant them where water acumulates during winter thaw and it then freezes solid that would kill them since they like sandy well drained soil

Gilmer, TX(Zone 7b)

What's the difference between pink poodle and double delight?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.