What is this iris?

Chickasha, OK

Can any of you help me identify this iris? It is as tall or taller than any iris in my garden and most of mine are TB but the blooms are very, very small. I mean like 1/5 the size of most iris blooms. I have always liked this one (probably becouse it is so much diferant than everything else I have) but I don't think I can even come close to putting a name on it. I am not getting real good picures but have a few I can put on here...

Greg

Thumbnail by Gregpap
Chickasha, OK

a bit farther away...

Thumbnail by Gregpap
Chickasha, OK

OK, this one is a bit better.

Thumbnail by Gregpap
Cherryvale, KS

Sorry, can't tell from photo!! It's a pretty color!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

From the description again I'm guessing pallida, or pallida cross. Tall, small flowered, and it looks like papery spathes.

Does it smell like grape koolaid? Are the leaves a little floppy compared to most TBs.? Is it an early one?

Chickasha, OK

I think you hit the nail right on the head with the pallida. I just looked it up and that is them. I just wish mine had the striped leaves that some of them do. I love this iris! It shoots up just over the flowers of my other iris and has that small bloom. Thank you so much! I would have never figured out this one.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're certainly welcome.

They sell the striped leaved ones all over, but not the one you have. It's very special. Plus the striped leaved ones are not nearly as vigorous.

Why not buy a couple of the striped leaved ones to go with it? That would be a beautiful sight!

I fell in love with the pallidas years ago, and researched them. I now have a few named varieties, Princess Beatrice being one, from Superstition Iiris. If you get Superstitions catalogue it will tell you in the historic section, which ones are pallida crosses.

South Hamilton, MA

The late Bee Warburton, breeder of medians & siberians, claimed that when she was a child, she thought that 'Princess Beatrice' was named after here. I think of that with a giggle everytime I see it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Awwwww. Too bad she had to find out it wasn't.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.