No seriously.....

(Zone 4a)

I need some good options for my tuteur which is only 5 feet tall...I don't plan to change it...nor can the clematis reach onto something else....What can I plant on it that would be good...hopefully group 3...willing to plant group 2 though. Looking for light blue or pinky colours or mixed.

(Zone 4a)

I am thinking of....

Prince Charles...
Semu
Silmakivi??? This would be my fav
Princess Dianna
HF young (2)
Hagley Hybrid
Carolyne

Delaware, OH

if you don't want to ever have to install something bigger or move the plant or add another structure for it to leap on (even an arbor vitae or rocket juniper) then don't do prince charles. too vigorous. but as clems take a while you could do
any of them for a few years and then adjust.

you couldn't go wrong with a hagley , if it is partial sun and an hf young which will bloom lower.....

you prune a lot so you could do almost anything. i would worry less about the structure and more about the sun level and keep on pruning......

(Zone 4a)

Thanks.....Guru.....this area is full sun.....so you figure I should skip the Hagley Hybrid and HF young? Thanks for the input.....I am nervous on finding the right clematis for this tuteur.....LOL

Is HF young prone to wilt at all???

This message was edited Apr 11, 2009 10:36 AM

Delaware, OH

hf young loves sun and has never wilted for me. not the longest bloom period, but so worth it.
go for piilu if you do not have it. piilu and h f young a nice growing combo i think even tho they bloom at diff times in my zone.

(Zone 4a)

That is good to hear about HF young. I do believe I did see both of those clematis being sold here last season....hopefully they will be back. And I might just go with that combo too. Thanks again.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Dawn, I just bought two 5 1/2 towers today (whatever I'm supposed to call them). I will be putting clems with both and planting an iceberg rose between them tomorrow, hopefully. It's supposed to rain here on Monday and these things have to be planted soon. I get the impression that you think your tuteur is too short. I'm a beginner at clems as well, so I can't give any advice, but I would remain excited about your new purchase and have fun planting. That's what I'm doing. I hope I DO see the day my plants outgrow them, so I know I did something right. The photo you recently posted of your tuteur was very pretty. I looked for white, but had to settle for black.

If mine are too short, it's just one of many gardening mistakes I've made. Thank goodness we have all these nice, experienced people on this forum to call on for advice. Right?

(Zone 4a)

Yes Sharkey gardening is all about learning and it is so much fun too!

I have been into clematis for about 5 years now and every year I am more and more addicted. I just love them - they have to be my favourite plant!

I found this tuteur and I just want to be sure I don't buy a clematis that isn't right for it. I don't really want to have to change the tuteur to accomodate.....Basically I am just looking for smaller clematis for this one.

It is also fun trying to figure out which clems I might choose LOL.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I can't wait to see pics...is it storming there yet?..We've had thunder and rain all day long...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

dawn, are you thawing out up there yet?

(Zone 4a)

Hey Guru yes we are!!! It is great! I pulled back some leaves covering my Comtess de Bouchard in the front yard just to see if anything was going on under there and yes I saw a little green shoot emerging!!! Yippeee!!! Slowly but surely things are starting to happen. Thanks for thinking of me!

Delaware, OH

i got back at 11 pm last night, big lga delay. so did not tour plants til this morning, just came in. no harm done from weather. all looks good, vigorous etc. you will come on quick i am sure. good luck keep us posted, northern clem gal!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.