Bayan Ficus honored historical in my town

Redondo Beach, CA(Zone 11)

This tree was (I believe) one of the first Flora honored in such a way in this area. I think this is very cool and hope it's the start of such a concept here and other places. Perhaps there are such plants/trees declared historic in your area. Tell us about them! (Note, our lobby comp won't reproduce pics in normal way, Sorry about that). http://www.nativela.net/2008/08/the-ficus.html Planted in 1920 in Little Tokyo by the Koyasan Buddhist temple.

Keaau, HI

There was a tradition of planting Banyan trees in the name of notable people, along Banyan Drive, the hotel row of Hilo.
Most notorius was the Richard M. Nixon tree, which has been chopped down repeatedly!

noonamah, Australia

We've got a huge Banyan beside the Arnhem Highway that was declared a historic tree some time back. It's a long straight stretch of road and if there's any widening it'll put a kink in the road to keep back from the tree. The tree's growing there naturally, they're natives. It towers over the road and looks quite impressive.

On the Atherton Tableland in Queensland there's a Banyan called the Cathedral Tree, its statistics are amazing. It has a girth of 24 metres, needing more than 24 people linked hand to hand to join up. Height of 48 metres, about 5 storeys. Canopy extends over 2000 sq metres, about the area of 2 olympic swimming pools. Estimated to carry about 1000 kg of leaves, without counting all the epiphytes and vines growing on it. Dwarfs everything around it so you can't get a true perspective unless standing near it. As far as I'm aware it doesn't have historic status, but it's in a nature reserve of its own.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico(Zone 11)

In the city where I grew up, Santa Barbara, California, there is a very famous Moreton Bay Fig that I believe has been declared a historical tree by the city. The history is told here http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?id=853 and is how I also remember it. I haven't been there in years but apparently it is no longer a focal point or tourist attraction but still growing.

I have a banyan that shades most of my yard, it is growing on my neighbor's wall. I believe it is a Ficus citrifolia, locals call them Alamo which the dictionary says is a poplar so must just be a Yucatecan use of the word.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2009 3:38 PM

Thumbnail by extranjera
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Cool thread! Hi LApalms, long time "no see"^_^

There is a very large Banyan tree growing in Lahaina which covers an acre - I am not sure if it is considered an historical tree, but it sure is awesome.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

We have one in our front yard only less than 25 years old and threatening to murder me at night!!!! It's roots invade ALL the plants/garden beds...a real monster!!!

Tilaran, Costa Rica

We had one that was acre sized that got tore up in Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Homestead fl.
It took a full week with 2 backhoes, 2 big stump grinders and about 4 guys with saws to get rid of it. It still shoots sprouts 1/4 mile away all these years later.
I much prefer the Ceiba across the street here.

Thumbnail by ToucanOasis
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha and welcome ToucanOasis!

What a wonderful picture - are you one of the folks shown?

Tilaran, Costa Rica

Hey Brave.
Nah. the hippie on the right is the fellow that runs La Reserva Forest Foundation and the yunguns are a couple taking a walking tour.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I always wanted to build a neat 'fort' in the Ceiba roots!!! They are so .... 'embracing'....

Keaau, HI

Them danged Hippies!

Hows'it Toucan?

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

I don't particularly like hippies, but enjoy the music!

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
Tilaran, Costa Rica

I dunno Metro. They're still too young for me to be able to tell male from female but the germination was 100 %
LOL

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

We have a historic palm tree here on Kwaj. After the Battle of Kwajalein during WWII there was only one undamaged palm tree left on the island. There is now a placque on the tree and nothing can be built within 50 yards of the tree. We have seen pictures that show other trees standing, but they are damaged. My dad was here during the battle, and he verifies that there was only one. Incredible!

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI

Hey Shari, can you show the tree?

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Uh...now I feel dumb. Apparently not one of the hundreds of pics we have taken here are of that tree. So, I will wait untill the weather clears and go get one. Maybe sometime this weekend. Sorry.

Yokwe,
Shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is a picture of Carols Banyan

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.