I can't believe it.

Almere, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

A cabbage looper moth came in through a crack around the edges of a closed storm window, flew clear across the house and made a beeline (mothline?) to my tray of okra seedlings that just sprouted a couple days ago. It was easy to catch by hand as it was very busy trying to find a good spot to lay eggs. But sheesh! Between this and the squirrels and grackles at the bird feeder (we're switching feed and maybe buying a new feeder) and the 2 pregnant groundhogs we've caught in the past 2 weeks (and spotted a third) - this is the year I dub "The Year of the Pest."
Just thought I'd share. Dumbfounding day.
I posted this in seed germination but realized this may be better.
Geesh.

Ellie

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

I thought I was the only one.... We moved from Alabama in 2005 to a nice place with about two acres here in Texas. In Alabama my yard, garden and chickens were always bothered by fire ants. I used the Amdro bait (couldn't tell if it was working or not) and poured boiling water on the mounds frequently to at least keep them from taking over. When we moved here, we were pleasantly surprised that there were no fire ants! It was wonderful to not have to figure out ways to keep them out of the dog's food and off my okra blooms. But in 2007 we found a mound on the edge of our yard (which we poured gallons of boiling water down.) And then in 2008 there were several mounds in the yard and in the garden. And now they have established territories. It seems like they followed me from Alabama.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.