Spring Bulbs - What's Blooming? IV

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Keep those pics coming folks! We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/965634/

Don't ya love it when a combo actually works out the way you hoped? These Hyacinths (Carnagie) have been in bloom for a while, and I thought the Tulips (T.tarda) were going to miss them altogether, but yipeeee! the tulips finally opened!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Daffodils 'Precocious' and 'Salome'.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

T.clusiana 'Lady Jane'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Daffodil 'Billy Graham', the cups are pinking up nicely.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

These were generously gifted to me (Thanks, tabasco!), and she thought they were mislabeled and I thought they were probably 'Fragrant Rose'. However the 'Fragrant Rose' I already had hasn't bloomed yet, so I'm not sure. Guess I should have sniffed one, LOL.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This spring has been one of cleaning up messes outside. Late in the fall we had a bunch of backhoe/septic system work that left a muddy path of destruction through most of the garden areas. Then in late winter a new roof and all the debris and foot traffic through the beds. And lately we've been removing some spruce trees that were unwisely situated and ice storm damaged branches from other trees, so there's been some kind of mess in every camera angle. Finally there's enough beauty among the branches to get me to take some pics. This area gets filtered shade, so that's where I'm concentrating pink/peach/coral Daffodils to help enhance their color.

Tulip 'Salmon Impression' with Daffodils 'Decoy', 'Pink Charm', and 'Precocious' and 'Salome' in the background.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This shows most of the area, and the path that I installed where the backhoe path had been dug. I needed a path there anyway, and now, if the pipes have to be dug again, I know where they are and there are no plants on top!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Daffodil 'Decoy'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Daffodil 'Sound'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

'Jack Snipe'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

'Flower Record', or "old faithful" I often call it. They bloom and multiply well almost anywhere.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

'Tahiti'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

'Silent Valley', one of my favorites

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

'Accent'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

And finally some Hyacinths from B&B's clearance sale, 'Miss Saigon'. The ground was frozen when they came in, so in a pot they went.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Very nice. You are way ahead of me with the hyacinths. The first multiflowering hyacinth bloomed today but some of the Hyacinthus orientalis are just poking up and the largest are a week to two weeks from blooming. Wonder if it was the mulch.

Does "Silent Valley" spread well? I'm looking for a larger white to put out by the road.

But come to think of it..."Tahiti" is a real eye-catcher. Might be better for people zipping by.

Are either fragrant?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks David! I'm not sure if its position or variety, but some of the Hyacinths have already faded, Fondant and Jan Bos are done here. Is this the first spring for your Hyacinths? Mine typically bloom a couple of weeks later when they're new.

'Silent Valley' does seem to multiply well. I think I counted 11 or 12 blooms from what was 3 bulbs planted in fall of '07. I've used them as cut flowers, but detected no scent. 'Tahiti' on the other hand does have a light, sweet fragrance, and definitely a great 55mph show off. 'Fortissimo' is a good bright one too; mine are a bit past their prime so I didn't get any pics of them. Perhaps a combination of 'Jetfire', 'Fortissimo', and 'Tahiti' would work well for early, mid, and late color through the season.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Neal for the new thread. Wow, I've to come back and 'visit' your garden, more often. Beautiful!

somewhere, PA

A tour de force of daffodils! Those are glorious Neal!
I'm a big fan of tahiti.

Neal - you have wonderful color combinations. Hard to tell
there was any disasters in the area of those pictures.

Goldenfish - that's a lovely combination! Such a soft blue.

Thanks for the new thread.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

What gorgeous pictures! Here's one of my muscari border.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Ooohh, it creates the illusion of a stream! I've always wanted to do that! Especially beautiful among the stone work.

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

i got a couple pretty pics ..... idont normally do spring bulbs . but i knew i would need some color after the winter , lol

Thumbnail by iris28
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Awesome, Neal!! Your bulbs look terrific and wonderful to see them. Love the hyacinths and daffodils...we have some of the same varieties, like "Carnegie" (one of my favorites) and "Sound".

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

DP please post some pics of your spring bulbs in the lawn. I think other might be interested in trying this. Thanks mon ami.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Dahlianut....its sorta a mess...this grows, this blooms and dies, grass comes up....but then it all gets mowed down the middle of May and looks more or less like a lawn again. This photo is outside the kitchen. It will look better in two weeks when the thalia and hyacinth are in bloom....front lawn (in the background) is mostly crocus, chionodoxa, scilla and puschkinia

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, Neal, what gorgeous flowers. Thank you for the new thread. Love your Lady Janes - I couln't hold on to mine. And Iris - what is that beautiful tulip? And please, David Paul, show your lawn shots. I did lawn with anemone blanda years ago, but had to mow too soon, and slowly lost them.

Donna

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Leawood....great muscari border! I've admired the displays the Dutch growers do but yours is the first home garden I've seen with so many. Did you plant them all at once or has that been a work in progress?

Donna....Wanted to and almost did put in anemone blanda but I think here too it would be fighting the grass. So far the best plants for a display after the crocus and before the lawn gets too high have been
puschkinia and chionodoxa. The plan now is to fill the lawn with as many chionodoxa bulbs as I can afford this fall. That should give three displays--snow crocus (late Feb to second week of April), crocus vernus (mid March to mid April) and the chionodoxa (early to late April).

Difficult to take a picture of the front lawn in which the flowers show up but below is one I'm using to know (I hope) where to put and not put more bulbs this fall. Everything is much more visible in real life....

Thumbnail by David_Paul
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Neal, next yr I hope to find a daff w/ the same shape as your Silent Valley. I love that shape and adore the rolling hills in the background of your pics.

David Paul, my FIL grows daffs like you, right on the lawn and mowes them around may.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

David, the muscari were individual bulbs I planted 3 years ago. I think I started with 200. They have multiplied nicely, as have the tete'a'tete narcissus. I also planted hyacinths along the way, but they have not put out much of a show.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

A couple of years ago I forced Thalia daffodils to go with the tulips in my planters around the garden, but they didn't bloom in unison, so now I just do tulips. After they finished blooming, I put the Thalia bulbs in a border - I love their fragrance and the fact that the bloom seems to last a little longer. These just opened yesterday.

I added more this year, but they have not yet bloomed.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

The daffodils by my fish pond survived last weeks ice/snow and put on a great show this week. I planted these four years ago (100 bulbs) and they have multiplied.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Lovely to see such nice warm looking spots filled with color. Cold and rainy here, but yesterday we had some sun so some bulbs came out.

One of my favorite genus is fritillaria Here is Raddeana which I planted a few years ago and it has rebloomed reliable. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

T. humilius 'Alba Coerulea Oculata'

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Ipheion

Thumbnail by jmorth
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

A new Fritillaria for me this year is a tiny one called oddly,.Fritillaria pudica 'Giant'. I will try to get a better picture tomorrow. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Veltheimia - in basement under fluorescents...took it 4 years to bloom...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

jmorth, congratulations on the blooming of Veltheimia

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

thanks

somewhere, PA

DP - love the bulb-filled lawn. I've only done the daffodils here. I think I'll
try puschkinia & chionodoxa myself. I used to have a hillside of muscari
but I think my mowing in the fall has reduced their vigor.

jmorth - did you start the veltheimia from seed? Its a new one to me. I see
its only hardy z9-11. Very nice folliage too from the pictures I found. Neat!

Leawood - I really like your hardscaping. It sets off the floral displays beautifully.

Patti - I just got F. Raddeana myself last fall.

Neal - I forgot to mention I planted my daff's with multiple bulbs per "hole" so
I'd have a beefier display I got the idea from you I believe.

Thumbnail by Tammy
Springfield, IL(Zone 5b)

Love seeing everyone's blooms..
I think this is 'ice stick'

Thumbnail by artemiss

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.