A Few for you

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

One of my all time favs...Clematis "Gillian Blades"..this pic does no justice to this gorgeous clematis for the edges of their tepals have a lavender/bluish tinge

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Empress" what a BOSSY center she has...

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Ruby Glow"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Voluceau"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

another fav white that has lavendar-bluish tinged edges on her tepal.."Claire de Lune"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Royalty"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

A must have for any insane obsessed Clematarian..Clematis "Snow Queen"..this particular one is planted with my climbing rosa "Don Juan"...did I mentioned that I am so obsessed with SQ that I have three of her planted throughout my gardens?

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Uncontollable Clematis can create such whimsy in one's gardens...who said you could grab ahold of that?

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Do yall remember the Gazebo I created and planted 4 climbing roses with 8 Clematis? Here is 'tis...trust me there is a method to my madness

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

'Cause I wanted to show yall my UTMOST fav climbing rose for those of you that love companioning Clematis with Climbing roses...Climbing rosa "Compassion"!!..I have her companioned with Clematis "Omoshio" and "H.F.Young"..she stays blackspot free and blooms profusely and seems to stay compact sideways that is...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

ooopppss..I forgot the pic and the edit won't let me add it..sowwy

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I love "Compassion" so much that I planted one on one of my posts on my Pergola RIGHT by where I sit in my rocker...isn't she stunning..this one is planted with clematis "Snow Queen" and "Crystal Fountain" Just had to show yall how beautiful she is with her peachy-pink colour..just starting to open and soooooo fragrant

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Bee-uti-ful! I can see why you are obessed with "Snow Queen". She definitely lives up to her name!

"she stays blackspot free and blooms profusely and seems to stay compact sideways that is... "

Rosa, "Compassion" is gorgeous! Love her peachy hue and yellowish halo, plus fragrance is an added bonus too! Is she truly blackspot free in your growing zone? Is she a no spray Rose? Where-o-where did you find her?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Shirl...I have NEVER sprayed her...My garden is a no chemical spray garden..I use alfalfa tea and spray my rose leaves and soil with Baking Soda Spray which works on mildew and blackspot
http://www.rosemagazine.com/articles02/pages/mildew.asp
I see our friend Dan over at Brushwood is carrying it now..hmmm..wonder what or who convinced him to carry it?
http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/climbing-roses-2/compassion-climbing-rose-239.html
I bought mine in the pot at Heirloom roses
http://www.heirloomroses.com/cgi-bin/browse.cgi?page=item&cat=13&item=563
and my second one I bought as a band from Vintage Garden Roses
http://www.vintagegardens.com/roses.aspx?cat_id=22

(Zone 4a)

Jeanne once again you have outdone yourself....what gorgeous photo's! You do have a fantastic yard to enjoy. I could see myself sitting with you in your garden sipping a nice cup of tea and relaxing while looking at all the beauty.

Delaware, OH

jeanee, can you give more detail on the baking soda spray? i must have missed that. sounds interesting. does it leave residue on the leaves?
one thing i noticed in sampling the UK clem books from the last 20 years, is that they did use a good bit of chemicals...surprising on one hand.......
i use little except round up on my gravel paths and neem based stuff on my spider mites on the albertas.

do a lot of soap and water too. a lot! but not on the clems. in my zone , don't need much on the clems, no bugs bug them, no pun intended!

Athens, PA

Jeanne -

Gorgeous photos as always! Can't wait until the clems and roses start flowering in our zone too!

I would also be interested in hearing more about the baking soda spray -

Carolyn

Baton Rouge, LA

Guru and Carolyn, the recipe for the baking soda spray and other details about it are in the article that Jeanne linked first (above):

http://www.rosemagazine.com/articles02/pages/mildew.asp

Athens, PA

Bliss -

Thanks!

Delaware, OH

thanks...thought it was a rose link. you southern folks must battle more bugs than we do i am counting on the cold winter to reduce our bug issues this year. the colder the winter the fewer the bugs usually, tho with mother nature you can always be surprised.

Baton Rouge, LA

Guru, in less than a year, we've had the worst hail storm in 40 years (last May), two severe hurricanes in one month (September), and the hardest snow in almost 100 years (in December). Living almost my whole life in Louisiana, I'm very accustomed to Mother Nature dictating ALL the shots! =P

(Zone 4a)

Jeanne I have to ask...why do you like Snow Queen so much?

(Zone 4a)

Guru do you think it will slow down slugs this year? I have them and t hey are the MOST grossest things I have ever seen!

Delaware, OH

yep mother nature is very bossy these days!

i don't have a lot of slugs, have seen a couple of little ones in past years, but never a big one one on my property. i have not used slug bait due to concern about my chihuahua.
not sure if the wintr would effect. but i have used crushed oyster shells as a top dressing. these are sold in feed stores a poultry grit......very cheap, not unattractive and appartently the sharp edges keep snails away.
it does go down into the soil ,but that is a good ammendment for most soil types.

i have also used larger, shrp edge rock to form the edge of a border. gravel, light rock and crushed oyster shells good as they reflect the light and keep the area warmer too.

uuhhh slugs are gross

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dawn...I love "Snow Queen" not only for her vigor but her blooms..she blooms alot in my gardens..heavily in Spring and late Summer/Early fall and spits out a bloom here and there during the the year

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Hmm, I wonder if the clem I thought was Henryi is Gillian Blades, what do you think?

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Delaware, OH

no it is not gillian blades. gillian blades has wavy outer margin and while the central bar area can be white, the outer margins are pale pale lavender as well as very wavy.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

It's not Henryi, as the center would have brownish anthers. What you have there looks a lot like my clematis Candida. Are the flowers BIG?

Thumbnail by KarenB61
Delaware, OH

it does look like canidida lanuguinosa. photo of reverse of sepals would be helpful.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I agree with Karen..Looks like Clematis "Candida" to me as well
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=713
Jeanne

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, they're huge flowers

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Candida has huge flowers. I'll bet that's what you have.

(Zone 5b)

Jeanne, thanks again for sharing your beauties..

I saw 'Gillian Blades' today for $15.99 for a nice size pot (?larger than 1G?) at one of my local grocery stores which carries a small supply of plants for sale around Mother's Day. They were in bloom so this helps.

I wasn't familiar with this clematis so thought I would check it out to make sure the tag was correct and see now it sure is.

They also had 'Mrs N. Thompson' which I see by COTW is correct also!

Now, guess where I am going to have to go now?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Bonnie..how I envy you to be able to buy such beauties locally!! I have to order mine online...Here's a pic of my Clematis "Mrs. N. Thompson"..she is still just a baby as I planted her in full sun in my "wall of Clematis" in the fall of '2007...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Delaware, OH

candida and marie boisselot can be confused. marie b is a more vigorous plant, less prone to fungal wilt. the main difference is that , in partial shade upon opening, a candida will have a VERY faint bluish blush and a marie b may have a VERY faint blush of pink. as the bloom matures and bleaches they come up to the same color. both have very large blooms. marie will be larger than candida within the first 3 years for most gardens, and a more reliable plant.
this is 08 marie b, showing a large bloom on a 4 year old plant

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Delaware, OH

sorry old, blooms on photo above. but at least you can see they linger a long time.

(Zone 5b)

Jeanne believe me this was just luck. Living in a small town I normally have to buy alot of things online too.

Thanks for sharing your 'Mrs. N. Thompson', she's lovely!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Bonnie..you are so welcome hon..I might add that she had about 8 blooms on her ..the first full season of '08 which I found a bit shocking for a pruning group 2 that I had hard pruned the heck outta back in '07...so I am expecting great things from her this year...Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.