Managing Menacing Roosters:

Ferndale, WA

A short time ago a subscriber to DG, Posted a new thread. (How to raise a nice Rooster) That was an excellent question, and to be honest I was somewhat dismissive of the question. For that I apologive to Elleisn. After following that thread from the begining I realized not only was it a good question, but there were some real problems that some of our forum friends were trying to deal with and having no relative success.
That concerned me and I thought (Baloney) There has to be a solution to this problem, besides Freezer Camp, Rehoming, and just outright frustration. I'm not saying Rehoming, and freezer camp, are wrong. I'm saying there has to be another solution, So I don't have to rehome, or butcher, or give away a Rooster I want to keep but can't tame him with any real success. I was commenting to Gallesfarm that I used to train dog's (dobermans) for the police dept, and that finding a good Roo seemed to be like the task of finding a good dog. That innocent remark sorta hit me right between the eyes hours later.
As I attempted to sleep last night after hours of researching the issue, The thought popped into my head. Yes you had to find the right dog, but after that you had to know how to train him for his job. Which is to say you could have the right dog but, if you did not know how to test and train him, he was for all practicle purpose still useless. If you can see my point then maybe many of us have the right Rooster, but, really don't know how to test them for the right qualities, and then know how to train them to bring out the best in them. Does this make any sense? I am still researching this issue, but I feel like I have found some good info that just might help. I would really like to resolve this problem and am will to put the time into it if you feel it might help. If not then I'm willing to also drop it. Just leave your comments on this thread and I'll follow your lead on this. Haystack

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I stand right next to you as your right hand warrior in this training session sargent!

I too believe there are no bad dogs, just bad trainers (lol)

No really.. sometimes, it does become a handling issue and sometimes it does become finding what the animal, no matter the animal, is good at and inhancing that ability and embelishing it to fit your needs and train it on that foundation.

I sure hope that added to what you said Haystack.. My point.. I believe what you said 100%!
Fran

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

I do believe there are some ways that work to help establish a people dominated pecking order. I am one of those frustrated rehomers who would love so examples of things that can be done. So if you are willing to try I am willing to look on with you. Someone once told me that if you pick up the aggressive roo and hold him (with his head facing your back while under your arm) and do chores with him like that it shows him that you are not hurting him and you are the boss. I did that with my Duke and it worked for me. The only thing was my kids. He was to big for them to tuck under their little arms. LOL I am with you as you try new and exciting chicken theropy Great Uncle! :D

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

The biggest differences between roosters and dogs are hormones. First, you can neuter a dog and that makes domination and training much easier. Second a dog gets a surge of hormones when he smells a female in heat. A chicken has them all the time.

When chickens are quite intelligent and can learn many of the same tricks a dog can, they don't have the long term memory. A dog will remember a command or trick for years, even if he doesn't use them every day. A chicken is pretty short term. A dog's head is filled with "food, sleep, pleasing the pack leader, sex, play, food, food, food ..." (sorry I have a Labrador, food is king). However, a chicken is "I'm the leader and have sex with everyone else." Food is in there, but it's down the list.

So anyway, yes, picking up the chicken and showing him that you are dominate does work. (I turn mine on his back) It has to be repeated on a regular basis and don't expect him to recognise another human as dominate.

When I was a kid, I had a pet rooster. I raised it like a dog. He knew all kinds of tricks and accepted me as dominate bird. My mother and sister however, he considered "hens" and danced around and flirted with them. (My sister learned real quick not to lay out in the grass sunning herself). Any men who came into the yard, other than my father who EVERYBODY and EVERYTHING was afraid of, were treated as other roosters and attacked. This went on all five years we had him.

So yes, temperament is very important, pick breeds that are docile, but more important, give that little guy lots and lots of attention as he grows. Then when he is an adult and starts feeling aggressive, pick him up and show him who is boss.

Ferndale, WA

Well it's 5;30 A. M. My time zone, and I have read the replies. And Frans & Sew I think we are all on the same page. I'm in total agreement with you Frans also. Sew I read that concept also, and while I take no issue with it, I can certainly see some problems. Like trying to hold a fifteen lb roo and doing a chore that takes two hands not to speak of the weight problem.
Anyway I would like say, at any given time feel free to agree, disagree, add to, subtract from or just laugh at anything I enter on this thread. All I ask is that you at least consider whats being said. If you have found your own solution more power to you, It is those who are struggling with this dilema, and who I call friends that I wish to find some help for. Some of this material will be my own, some will be researched, You might think some also came from outer space. LOL

Most of what I post will be done on Monday evening while you are sleeping, also on Friday late evening my time. That is what will work best for me in order to continue my research and contact some of the Informants. Input and feed back helps me to see if we are together still or if I have caused someone to stumble. My first entry will be posted this evening around 6 p.m. my time zone. My deepest regards Haystack.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes, maybe I should patent a rooster sling so you are hands free to do chores. I will contact our patent lawyer Claire! hehehe Best wishes on the mission.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I love this thread... I know it's not going to fit every situation every time, but it does give hope for the roos you really want to keep.

I think Jyl is majorly on track..
About 35 years ago I read a book called "you and your horse"... I can't remember the author.. but it was cutting edge Horse Whispering type thinking.. If you know how an animal thinks.. and what they can comprehend.. you are FAR ahead of the game. Think like a chicken thinks, and you see their world so much better...
I guess what I'm trying to say is.. See their world as they do, and provide them with an environment that is suited for THEM.. not how you want them to see your world and fit into Yours. Does that make sense?

We can't really think like chickens.. but when we know things like Jyl says.. it helps greatly.

I try my best to give them a place to be the majestic creature he is.. a rooster.. and let him rule the roost as it was meant for him to do. If kids come to see chickens, they are quickly diverted to the silkie pen. LOL

Clarkson, KY

I am all for Chicken Whispering --in no way making light of your efforts, Hay! The more clearly we see the rooster's eye view, the better able we will be to keep them. Domestication is, after all, an alien state of affairs to our birds. My daughter is old enough now to be the dominant one, but a year or so ago the roos were still occasionally pestering her.

Lodi, United States

I was taking to a Falconer and he explained that when working with birds you have to realize that they are primarily emotional and selfish. That is, they react strongly and they act in their own interest....and do not consider yours. Sort of like a human 2 year old. I've heard similar reports about Parrots and Ostriches. It is not that they are stupid or unfeeling. If they love you, you are everything to them....but it is not a flexible way of thinking. If they feel they should attack--nothing will make them stop until they don't feel that way anymore. So the challenge that Haystack has bravely taken on, is to figure out what makes them feel like attacking and what makes them feel like it is no longer a good idea.

None of my roosters so far have shown human aggression, but I have a little black Dutch Bantam roo that suddenly decided to remove the head of my little white Serama roo. I didn't realize how relentless he was about it till all the feathers and most of the skin was removed from the top of the Seramas head. He hasn't bothered any of the other roos he is in with.

Ferndale, WA

JYL, ZZ's, Grownut!!! I read your posts and very much enjoyed your input. In fact all of you have said and made some excellent points. A lot of what you said needs to be said over and over again.

Please understand I am no authority whatsoever on this Rooster thing. I make no bones about doing this research as much for myself as others. I am only and interested student, along for the ride. I do however believe I'm intelligent enough to appeal to common sense, couple that with research, and a little experience and generate enough ideas to get us all to think and consider. With help from the good people of this forum if we can throw some ideas and facts around to the point that it helps some? Then it has been worthwhile. Haystack

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

The part I didn't finish in my post above was.. After reading that book.. my training and horse handling became second nature.. just soooo smooth.. no fuss, no injuries, etc.

So the more we understand chickens/Roosters and don't put them in the wrong environment, the better we will get along, and the more they will thrive. :)

and give us more babiez.. LOL

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Should I say THAT over and over?

MORE BABIEZ MORE BABIEZ..

Ferndale, WA

I'm sure most of you on this forum thread have at least heard of the woman who lost both arms and most of her face to a lady friends Chimp. That lady who owned that chimp had owned him fourteen years without a hitch. And then suddenly!!

I'm also sure most of you are familiar with the Sigmund and Roy show! With their white Bengal Tigers! This show went on for years without a hitch. And then suddenly!! The persons that were attacked in both of these cases will never lead a normal life ever again.
Neither of these situations had to happen. We are just arrogant enough to think that we always have the upper hand, and can therefore throw common sense and caution to the wind. Well what does it take to wise up??

First and foremost get rid of the arrogance. And show respect for these creatures.

Second: Quit attributing human emotions and attributes to them. That does not mean we can't love them and enjoy them. But for goodness sake don't for one minute think they are going to love you back. Trust me this love is a oneway street. I know this revelation is going to depress many but it is the truth. Get over it.

Thirdly Remember we choose them, they did not choose us. That puts the responsibility square on our shoulders, not theirs. Earlier on the hair-do post Sew made a comment she had to go to the STUPID mall, she then caught herself and said "ok the mall isn't stupid" and then went on. A short time ago Catscan posted and mentioned she had a crested chicken that she thought was just to stupid, and then realized the chick wasn't stupid she was just blinded by her crest. I mention these because they are so funny, but also to say there is no evidence I have ever seen anywhere that they are either smart or stupid. They are wired with inate instincts. If we can remember that it just may help us in the future. Have a great week-end and we'll talk about our responsibilities next Friday. Deepest regards Haystack

Lodi, United States

Actually they have done quite a few studies recently that show that some birds, including chickens, have quite a high degree of intelligence. But it is not mammalian intelligence. And it only works among chickens. Even the terrible bullying they sometimes seem prone to, may be a normal reaction to confinement. None of my free ranging roos have picked on each other (they spar--but the lower ranking one can run away and the pursuer gives up pretty quickly), but the baby bantam roos were in a cage together and it got ugly. And I don't have game roos, which I know will not give up the fight.

Let's face it...chickens are different from us. Like Haystack said: We are responsible for their welfare and we need to respect the difference. Actually I think it is the difference that I like so much...watching them react to the world and each other is always fascinating.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Then there is Dolly.. she is NOT stupid.. but she shouldn't have lived.. I had fed her for 5 days.. she just "ain't right" but she sure is pretty! She gets along okay.. but she just isn't the sharpest crayon in the box.
A perfect example of intervention into a place I didn't belong. :)

Lodi, United States

Poor Dolly. I remember how hard you worked with her. None of her brothers or sisters are so...um...simple. A chicken that doesn't know how to go home to roost is not quite a bright chicken. But she is a beauty and she has you to show her how to go to bed at night:0).

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I know.. but don't you agree that I probably should have let nature take it's course? I was emotional, and thought I could "fix" her.. when I shouldn't have. I love Dolly.. Don't get me wrong. I make fun of her, but really.. she is just a lil slow... I like to talk like Eeyore when I'm around her.
I guess my point is.. when humans get in the way.. something always seems to happen... at least with animals..

In all my years with horses, I've not seen many injured that it wasn't man's fault... for one reason or another.

Lodi, United States

I think nature might have taken Dolly out of the gene pool...although she might somehow have gotten enough stimulus from a broody mother to survive. But I don't know how you could have made that decision. I mean, I have had chicks that didn't start eating right away--but with work they turned out fine. And I don't think you could have watched her slowly starve to death...or put her out of her misery just because she wasn't too quick to start eating on her own. Especially not realizing that she was actually a little short of full stack. And how could you know?

But if Br'er Fox turns up, I am sure Dolly would be the first one to climb into the sack.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

You are 100% right.. there is always hope and no way I could just give up on her.
Actually, she is already such a good mom! She is huge and doesn't know she is a baby... all the tiny ones get under her for warmth. Not often you can put one in with the babiez that is that big!
Sorry for hijacking Haystack..

Clarkson, KY

Catscan made the point I was hoping to make. But I'll reiterate...:-)~

Because the environment we create for them to live in is unnatural to them neither we nor they are in a position to let nature take its course. We can only do our best and learn from it. ZeeZ -you could not have done anything less. You had to find out from experience what it took to save that chicken and what its effects were. Thanks for sharing.

I imagine the learning curve for keeping roosters will be much the same. One day maybe we'll know what causes a rooster to choose aggression as its best course of action (no, I'm not humanizing, y'all! I'm using human language about birds...)

Ferndale, WA

What is (our) the chicken owners responsibility? I suppose the spectrum here would be as far and wide as the owners themselves. There is probably no established set of responsibilities. Therefore it's probably safe to say we all have our own opinions. I will voice some of mine and hope you will chime in and do the same.

I visited eight chicken farms over the last seventy-two hours. In some cases I was delighted, in others I left in shock. My dear wife always tells me my coop is the Hilton of chicken coops.
1. Housing is more than a building, It should be kept dry, with lots of fresh air. Floor space should be ample for the amount of birds housed in it.
Nesting boxes should be provided and kept clean.
Food should be fresh, dry, (not damp) and ample.
Water, should be in generous supply, fresh, kept clean, and waterers should be disinfected weekly.
The coop itself should be a safe source of housing, and that would mean taking ample measures to be kept predator free.
We call it a chicken coop? Yet I have watched owners in the past seventy-two hours that walk in slam doors and scare the be-jesus out of unsupecting birds. We who raise them know it takes little to upset them. It not only effects their egg laying, but destroys the trust factor. If it's their house then we should respect it as such and consider them when we enter into it. Slow deliberate, calming movement helps to create a healthy, peaceful environment. I always announce myself before entering by speaking to them so they are not caught of guard.
I never allow strangers inside the coop. The birds know the difference.
The birds should not be subject to the nonsense of children, especially visitors children.
Roosters, due to their very nature, and unpredictability should be kept in such a manner to keep everyone safe. I have seven roosters, of which three run with the flock. They are all very gentle and also very small. The other four are in seperate pens. They are used for mating and provide fertile eggs to hatch and sell. They take turns in a eight x thirty run. So every fourth day they get to be out doors totally. I never handly the roos without good gloves and a face shield, They have not given me trouble yet, but I always wear protective gear. I know how easy it is to retaliate when injured or attacked. Wearing protective gear assures me I won't be put in that position. Because they are much faster than I, I have three different size nets I have made and that way I and they don't get all worked up. The longer you chase the worse they get with hostility. Once they are in the net it is so very simple to deal with them, then the pecking order between them and I begans.

Grownut in posting a comment mentions chicken whisperer, Friday I want to tell you about such a person, and the lesson she left behind. I hope you'll add to this list of responsibilities. Deepest regards Haystack

Ferndale, WA

One thing I wanted to mention, and forgot. Those of you who are regulars on this forum are so very very special. In talking with many coop owners and observing their coop's and trust me the coop's do tell a story, proved to me just how very special you are. Some of the nastiness I saw, oh my. Even the best I saw did not compare to what I have see of your birds, coops, and attitudes. You are the best. Haystack

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks Great Uncle. Sounds like you have been busy. Thanks for all your time and research. Its very interesting to read about other places. I have visited a few around here. They vary greatly in their provisions. Some excellant some not so... Have a great day.

Ferndale, WA

I visited one coop just a mile from where I live, I found it on Craigs List. When I arrived I did not tell the owner I also raised chickens. I bought two doz eggs for six bucks. After purchasing the eggs I put them in my pickup and asked her if I could see her chickens. She said yes and when we got to the coop I was shocked. It was a total mess. I said to her oh I see you have a window that opens for the birds, she said no, that for me, I use that to shovel the droppings outside. The coop had a horrible oder and the poo was piled about three feet high against the wall. I asked her how birds she had and she replied about thirty. I asked her if she spent any time with them? To that she replied heck no, they are not my favorites. She had four goats and three alpacas also. I thanked her for the eggs. Left and went home. I immediately opened the cartons and found the eggs were very dirty, and after washing them found three were severly cracked. I noted that the coop was approx an 8x8 and the hay was very soggy. there were five nesting boxes with a lot of poo in them. There was no roost. What was interesting about this place was the former owners were friends of mine, I had delivered propane to them several years, It was always well kept at that time, and in the three years since the new owner have there it looks like a different place totally. I cooked both cartons of eggs and fed them to the chickens. Enough said. Haystack

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I thought I was the only one that said good morning to my chickens before I open the door!!!!! That's wild.. I am sensitive to my chickens feelings... I wouldn't want someone bursting in my bedroom first thing in the morning! LOL It's just the golden rule!!! Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!

Really, I hate to think of the life some chickens have... I know if I went to other places I too would be horrified.

You are a gem Haystack.. a true gem. :)

Ferndale, WA

A neighbor and I took a trip to the town of Mt Vernon, thirty eight miles south of us. There was an ad in the Little Nickle selling Aracaunas. I told him they were probably Americanas. He asked me if I liked them and I said I did, he also knew I was doing some research of Chicken Coops and asked to join him, so I did. I showed him my Americana Roo and he was impresed. I have lots of pullets but he wanted a few now, and mine are just 8 wks. When we first arrived we both did a second take and he managed an ughh. I was approx an acre of pure filfth, I have never seen the likes of it anywhere. there was garbage, broken down crates, car parts and mud and poo everywhere. A guy come out of a degrading ole single wide to meet us. he was wearing sandals, I was grateful I had boots on. He asked if we were here to buy chickens. My friend replied yes and gulped. Well the chickens were everywhere. He must have had at least a hundered or so, He asked my friend how many he wanted? My friend said five, and the old guy said I'm only selling the Aracaunas and my friend said fine. The guy said I'll gather them up and when he picked up the first bird, I said wait a minute those are not Aracaunas but rather Americanas. He said same thing, I said evidently you don't know your chickens as they are not the same. This gave my friend the out I knew he was looking for and we took our leave. I never did see a coop but I did notice a lot of eggs on the ground amongst all the auto parts. We didn't talk much on the trip back, my neighbor just smiled shook his head and said thanks for saving me.

Had he bought chickens I would have cried. Gotta tell you while we were there I kept thinking of Mox. With her kind heartedness, she would have once again been in the Rescue business. I can not believe the neighbors have not turn this in to the health dept. Poor ZZ's would have been crying her eyes out, the rest of us would have had to really work to keep our composure. I know I sure did.

Those were the two pathetic ones I saw. The rest were acceptable though not great, There was one exception, a couple in the town of Sumas on the Canadian border. They and their two little ones were clearly having a good time with their birds and the coop was nicely done, and clean enough though a little small for the number of birds they had. There was also a very nice sized run for them. Haystack

P.S. One thing this has helped me to understand, is that so many have animals and birds that probably should not have them. And because of this there will always be a need, for people like Claire and so many of you who who frequent the poultry forum. I know there are others out there we have not met or heard from who also love their animals and birds. Thats is encouraging.

Ferndale, WA

This story is about a guy in his later years of life. As the story goes a relatively young lady was on her way to an event and got lost. She drove into this elderly mans drive. Upon seeing his visitor he went out to see if he could be of assistance, She told him she was to be at a certain arena at a certain time and wondered if he could help her to locate the place.
He told the young lady he knew where the place was and asked her what the event was that she was to attend. She stated she was an instructor and was supposed to address the local 4H club. Oh he said and what is the topic your going to address them on. How to tame a mean and overly aggressive rooster, she replied. The man said oh, while he silently thought to himself. "I have been raising poultry for over fifty years and have dealt with more mean roosters than she has ever seen. And just how do you do that, he stated. I really don't have time now to explain, but will be giving a demonstration with two live mean roosters at the club meeting. Then he openly admitted to her he was a poultry farmer, and had dealt with his share of mean roosters. She asked "and just how do you deal with them. He said first you must learn to love chicken soup, then you must learn to love chicken and dumplings, thirdly you must learn to love chicken and rice. The young lady kept her composure and said Sir, have you ever regretted, or missed any of those Rooster's you disposed of. With a little smirk and sheepish grin, Yes I suppose I have regretted and missed a few over the years. She smiled slightlly and asked, would it be worth your time to see that there is another way? With that question asked, he decided to invite himself to the demonstration. Heres how it went. Next Post

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, this is a very interesting thread, I will be watching it.

Where I had to board my dairy goats for a while, there was a T E R R I B L E roster. This was my first (and I'm happy to say the last) experience with a rooster. This thing would come from no where and attack me. I love, love love animals, and never in my life would I harm one, so warning don't read any further,........

OK too late to turn back now....

I took Delight, in swatting at that darn burn, if I could have caught it I would have been a self taught neck ringer......

Ok back to the regular scheduled thread....

Janet

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Sad really!! I do sing to my chickens. I have a good morning song for them as I open their doors for the day. I think they really appreciate that. ;) Along with clean digs, and fresh food and water.

Ferndale, WA

The young lady was in the arena, with her was a container, containing two aggressive roosters which were not owned by her

As I understand she was wearing protective gloves and some kind of eye protection. The 4h club and the old man were on the outside with fencing inbetween. She spoke with the youngsters for a few minutes and then proceeded to open one of the doors to the cage. The rooster came running out and after just seconds went for her. She turned her back in an act of protection and he tore at her pant leg, she pulled away and the rooster flew up and struck her in the back, all this time she is talking to the kids and suddenly she turned and faced to rooster head on. He flew up about waist high and she grabbed him by the leg, in just seconds according to the old man she had both legs. She then using the other hand secured the wings and finally with the wings and legs under control transfered the rooster under her arm, trapping the wings and holding the legs. Still taljking with the children, she said now I want you to watch this, with her free hand she took one finger placed it on the roosters beak and pressed down until his face was facing the ground. She held it there for about 15 seconds, she then released it and his face stayed down several seconds, the bird then looked up and she gently placed the gloved finger on the beak and again forced the head toward the ground. According to the old man the head remained down for about a minute, she repeated this process six or seven times. The last time the bird never did look up. She still speaking with the children showed them there was no reason to be mean or hurt the Rooster, it was simply a show and demonstration of dominance, and no one understood this better than roosters, still talking she leaned over and placed the bird on the ground went over and sat on a bench all the time talking to the kids and a totally surprised old man. She after a few minutes took a long stick and gently hearded the rooster into the cage. She took the second rooster out and repeated the preformance with exactly the same results. Then after the instruction period she said. " Do not ever make friends with the rooster, he will then think you are equalls, We want him to understand we are the dominant and when he learns that you will have not problem." She suggested this routine, may have to be repeated once or twice, but that if you are with the rooster routinly, he is likely to remember. She also suggested that if the rooster tries to get to friendly or to close, you should carry a small switch and remind him that you are not friends, just tap him on the tail feathers as a reminder don't get to friendly or to close. That is exactly how he is with the hens. The old man who tells this story says "She is one of the smartest and wisest, pjersons he has ever met. He now routinly deals with his roosters using theis method. No more chicken and dumplings. I loved this story and have vowed that on my next meeting with a mean roo I am going to give it a try. I loved the old man in this story also for giving deference to a young lady, and to be willing to learn there just may be another way. Deepest regards Haystack.

Ferndale, WA

Hi Meadowyck!!! Thanks for joining us and your story had me rolling. I think most of us can relate, and that what makes it so funny. I so remember a gander that had me terrorized when I was a small boy. I still shiver when I see one. As a friend once said, a mean gander makes a the meanest roo look tame. LOL Hay

I will post just a few follow-up thoughts tomorrow night to finish up. Please forgive the typo's. Hay

Denver, CO

Thanks Haystack

I didn't get a male. I got 3 pullets, but 1 died. The other 2 are doing great, getting big, and looking very healthy. I noticed you talked about training Dobermans. I used to have Dobermans. Right now I have a cat and a German Shepherd Chow mix. When I brought the babies home, I put one in my hand and showed it to Lucy. I tried to explain to her it was now her new job to protect them, since we have foxes in our neighborhood. She looked at them very curiously, but then one pecked her on the nose, lol. She doesn't like them, but she does protect them. Whenever the cat walks into the room, Lucy just casually walks over and stands between the cat and the chickens, lol. I would like to get a rooster, but they didn't have any at the hatchery. I grew up with roosters, and I do have a great fondness for them. They are great fun. Thanks for responding.

Citra, FL

My Mean Roo is just a mean roo. Ive tried carrying him around, Ive tried walking around with him hanging upside down, Ive tried scolding him. Ive resorted to carrying a walking stick into the pen with me, and he still tries to attack me, or the stick. Once again, he tried to jump on me the other day, and I took a golf swing at him and sent him flying. He landed on his side, spun around a few times, his eyes rolled back in his head, and blood came from his mouth. His eyes flickered, and stopped. I knew I had just killed him, and was mentally thinking how many more fertile eggs I could get from his girls.

Then, son of a gun, he came back to life, got up, and wobbled off. That was last week, and he still wont even hardly look at me when I come in the pen. I still dont go in without my stick, but I think Ive finally gotten it thru his hollow little head that he has to leave me alone. We'll see how long he stays submissive, but geez, he's hard headed.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Haystack:

Those little monster and are something else for sure. Glad it brought a few chuckles to ya. Now when I look back I think of how funny it was and have a few laughs myself, but more at how I must have looked should someone have been around watching me being stalked by the rooster from down
below.... _ _ _ _ LOL Never turn a corner without looking carefully around it first to make sure the thing was there waiting.... sure could have used one of those look around the corner mirror from when I was a kid.....

Anybody know if they still make though things? My step grandson would get a kick out of that....

Janet

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

The Rooster Whisperer! Great story Haystack! That procedure sounds completely different than what we have been doing.. and is very interesting.
Since I've got a roo that is totally compliant.. I can't practice on him.. but I am glad to have that info..

Speaking of info.. LOL

The correct spelling is Ameraucana. I believe the Americanas you refer to are Easter Eggers.
Ameraucanas come in specific colors, breed true, all have muffs & Beards with blue/green slate legs.
EEs come in an endless variety of colors, some with blue legs, some not.. some with muffs, some not.. all lay blue/green eggs.
Aracauna = Rumpless with Tufted cheeks.. some have tails, some have clean faces.. sky blue eggs.

I'm getting into Ameraucanas for breeding. This is what I wanted to do years ago, and have finally decided on the main breed I want to work with. Maby in a few months I will have a roo that needs an attitude adjustment.. LOL

Ferndale, WA

ZZ.s! As I understand it The Araucana is the rumpless chicken from Chile.

The Ameraucana is the breed developed in the U.S.A. to get away from the lethal gene.

The Americana is a crossbred and not a breed, and Is commonly called the easter egger. They lay several colors of eggs, to include yellow. Is this correct? or am I confused? .

Also how is that big Roo of yours doing, also is he Americana, or Ameraucana? Also when it comes to the Roo, how does one know if he is easter egger, or Ameraucana? Thanks for any info.

Clarkson, KY

I never heard that americana was anything but a misspelling. You sure Hay? (loving this thread by the way, my thanks)

Ferndale, WA

I wanted to close my part on this thread, with just a few follow up comments.

I wanted to acknowledge the value in what ZZ's mentioned, no mating in front of her, this is very valuable in the area of dominance, which I also practice.

Catscan as well, mentioned studies on the intelligence of chickens. Birds that poop in their own food??? H O W E V E R she is correct, I must admit it. Proverbs 1:17 acknowledges some level of intelligence, even if it is not mammalian intell. Thanks Cat.

JYL brings some great info and ideas to us also.

I'm always open to learn more, and consider other ways of doing things. I only shared this info in hopes of helping some, If your way works better for you then I applaude you. If you have not been successful then perhaps you'll want to give the chicken whisper lady' technique a try. What can it hurt? I do hope we can help each other in finding ways to accomplish our goals without being cruel and abusive to the Birds and Animals that give us so much. Haystack

Ferndale, WA

Hi Grow! Bless your heart. I always love your input and comments. I am not sure at all my dear. but I have a Murray McMurray hatchery catalog in front of me and it say's Americana (easter-egger) chicks for sale. Page 22 It also says they are a crossbred of Araucana and american breed chickens, and therefore not for show. It is spelled as I quoted AMERICANA and it is the 2009 Catalog. So I'm only quoting what the catalog says. Thats all I really know, and thanks for asking. Hay

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Great info here. That is good to know about the breeds! The kids and I are hoping to score a few Araucana pullets to complete our flock. I am just not 100% sure of what to look for. I believe the Araucana are rumpless. Is that correct? Thank you so much for your time on this thread. I hate to see it end. I have been so busy wrapped up in a 20 page paper that I have not been on often, only to read. It is greatly appreciated Great Uncle. :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.