Dwarf Trees

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Most people get dwarf trees because they want to pot them up and keep them to 2-3' height. Fruit trees come to mind.

what happens if you plant a dwarf tree inground? will it get much taller since it's not constrained by a pot? Will it depend on what the rootstock is?

thanks for your help. I'm thinking about a sweet lime tree I saw on Logees.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Things to tend to grow faster and get bigger in the ground, but a dwarf is still a dwarf so it'll still be dwarf if you plant it in the ground. I'd do some searching and see what the full grown height is listed as for that particular tree, and figure in the ground it'll eventually get to that full size but in a container maybe it could stay a bit smaller than the size that's listed. And if the size that it is supposed to get to is a little bit bigger than you want, you can probably still prune and try to keep it slightly smaller.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Logee's won't ship to Texas. Like AZ, CA and FL, we can't import citrus from out of state. Check Caldwell Nursery in Rosenberg as well as Acorn Springs Farms.
http://www.acornsprings.com/
They sell a few dwarf citrus trees. I believe they get a bit bigger in the ground, but they will still be smaller than the standard cultivar

V, you're right! I will ck acorn springs. CayDee is pretty sold out. Maybe I'll go there today and ck things out. I just don't want to get on a ladder to get fruit.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a dwarf cherry tree that was planted 15 years ago. It doesn't get any taller, just wider. It's very easy to reach the cherries, but the birds think so too. DH usually covers it with a net. It helps a little bit, but the birds still get to the fruit.

Thumbnail by pastime

pastime, that's what I'm talking about! I want them to be like yours.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine is a dwarf Montmorency cherry. It blooms faithfully every year and produces tons of cherries. They are sour and meant for pies, but DH loves to eat them straight off the tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.