Challenge for you all

North Augusta, ON

I've been going in circles trying to get me a greenhouse. Then I got looking at this building in my back yard. It was the original house way back in the early 1800's. Has a cement floor, two stories and it's own power supply. Super solid construction.

Would it be possible to remove the roof and make it glass or plastic do you think?

You folks come up with the best ideas, hopefully you can help me here!

Thumbnail by threegardeners
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Very possible.If you remove the "tin"roof you should find widely spaced boards running
opposite the direction of the metal.That is to say,running parallel to the ridgeline.These are most often spaced on two foot centers.Replace the metal roofing with corrugated plastic/fiberglass panels and you have instant greenhouse.Use screws and washers to attach the fiberglass.You could improve things considerably by removing the siding on the north and south walls and replacing that with the fiberglass panels or just soft greenhouse plastic.

North Augusta, ON

Great news!! Actually, only the one side (south) is tin, the other side (north) is very mossy shingles.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I had thought to do the same thing with my garage (that really is only a glorified storage shed) by replacing the roof and some of the top of the walls with polycarbonate panels. Woo boy, did I get sticker shock on that one - it ended up being cheaper to erect my hoop house than to go the polycarb route.

I had wondered about the fiberglass; I haven't seen it used much in the past few years - seems like it was awful popular for a while.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Fiberglass has some problems.It does become more opaque over the years and can get somewhat brittle which is why I use screws and washers to attach the stuff.That said,the price difference between fiberglass and polycarbonate is so great that there isn't even a choice at my house.I have had some corrugated fiberglass panels on an old gh for 18 yearsThey have been through two major hurricanes and I have only had to replace a few.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Now *that's* an endorsement.

I'm not sure where N. Augusta is, but I do remember that it gets very windy in the London area.... >smile< ....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.