Heucheras are coming up but....

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm happy to see the heucheras that I planted last season made it through the winter and are coming up. But, I'm not sure they are coming up properly. They look kind of stalky. There's about 2 to 3 inches of "stalk" coming out of the ground, and the new leaves are on top of these stalks or stems. Is this normal?

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

Some of my heuchs are showing progress, Karen, and all were planted last year. I don't notice stalks. One of my caramel and two tiramisu in the same flower bed near the garage are changing color. Back to last summer's color for the caramel; no stalks but the leaves are brightening from dead brown. My tiramisu were real small last year. Ten days ago I figured they were gone. I couldn't see anything but mulch where they were. Yesterday I noticed red veins and saw a few leaves on each plant. The fringe of the leaves are no longer dead brown but they are quite a distance from being chartreuse.

I've no experience to offer; just a gut feeling your heuch's growth will become normal in the near future.

Gary

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thanks Gary. I'm wondering if maybe they heaved a bit, and I should dig them up and plant them deeper? I will try to get a picture of them today. Its kind of hard to explain without a picture...

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

It's a lovely day here. Temp is supposed to reach low 70's, it's 66 now. I got the yard mowed so I think I'll wander around after lunch and take a few photos myself. Then I'll spend an hour or two practicing with my pitching wedge.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Gary that PW works great on dandelions!!

Doug

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

I hadn't thought of that, Doug. Set the ball on top of a dandelion and swing away. With that many sweet spots so close together I'm bound to hit one every time. Talk about a perfect lie for the ball. LOL

Liverpool, NY(Zone 5a)

I live in Syracuse, New York, and we had a very hard winter this year. I have many heucheras in my gardens, and this year they are truly looking weary, some bolted, some with many dead leaves and some OK. They were fine the former winter, which was not nearly as bad. I do see growth in the center, like rosettes, but the outer leaves are truly gone. Is this the pattern of this plant. Last Spring they all looked beautiful after the winter. Color on all of them -- not so this year. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Oh, and stalks like on African Violets on some -- that seems to be the growth pattern on some varieties. I just dig those out and replant lower down. That has worked for me before.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, Strell! Like African Violet stalks. So those need to be planted more deeply, then?

Liverpool, NY(Zone 5a)

Karen, it has worked for me in the past few years. I just dig them and plant them deeper sinking the "stalks" . The plants have rejuvinated. Now if I can just figure out why so many of them look so shabby -- some even bolted out of the soil. I think possibly a vole as I have other plants that look sad as well.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

From what I've read Heuch's have a tendency to heave in cold winters too. Make sure you mulch well before next winter to help keep the ground from forcing them up.

Doug

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Doug
I don't have many but most of mine are up and doing well. Stoplight hasn't shown up :(

Old Noid is getting ready to bloom

Key Lime Pie
Silver Scrolls
Cappicino is my favorite and I divided it yesterday.
Teresa

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Teresa did you decide on a name for the business?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, I need to go over there and post that :)

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

It wasn't "Bloomers" was it?!!!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

:) no

I liked BLOOMS and BLOSSOMS

I need to scroll down and see who posted that one. Doug did you say your wife likes daylilies?

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

She likes anything with a pretty bloom! We have about 8-10 different types at present. My fave is a NOID because when I first planted it we weren't totally nuts about gardening like now so the tag was trashed. It is a very bright yellow and I just call it my Lemon Chiffon DL! I have one started from seed in a small pot under lights.

Doug

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I did the same thing when I started about 5 yrs ago. Now I am a name freak. If you trade or sell you have to keep up with them. I am over 200 dls now and 40 hosta. Lot of TBs too.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Are you gonna do the business out of your home?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes, I have been selling on the Lily Auction a couple of years and posting in the DG classifieds. I don't have the time to go full scale.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Karen, My beds were very well mulched and there was still a lot of frost heave, especially after that March freeze. I've got several showing tall central stalks, but now the lower leaves are filling out & catching up. This unusually cold winter was really hard on much of my Heuch foliage, also on shrubs. I believe that I've lost some young ones.

Here's today's challenge!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Yikes!!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, Karen. You've exactly quoted my reaction!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.