Moving my irises help!!!!!

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

I have three colors of iris and I want to move them tomorrow. I only have one that has a bloom. Can I move them now? I really need to move them. They are in way to much shade. I read the thread about the coffee grounds. Do you mix the grounds into the soil?

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I see that many people did see your thread including myself. But since I am new to iris, I had no advice. You also do not say what type of iris, which would be helpful to know.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

You can move Iris anytime. Moving them now may set blooms back but I have some more to move out of shade this yr too. BEV I have even moved when they are blooming.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I move mine anytime, also. Even when in bloom if I see a color combo I like. If they are not going to bloom anyway, move them out to a sunnier area as soon you can do it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You can mix coffee grounds in with the soil, but it will make it more acidic. If your soil is already acidic, you might want to put the grounds on something that loves acid soil like beardless iris, hydrangea, azalea, etc. etc.

Raleigh, NC

sorry not to respond sooner, but I was off DG due to illness when you posted. since the 10th, been partying! birthday and Easter all weekend!right.

Bearded irises like soil neutral to a bit on the base side of things. Coffee grounds are indeed acidic, but not harshly so. beardless irises would love them.

If you do put grounds out for any irises, don't put them on the irises themselves. and I personally just barely scratch them into the surface. don't know if it really works, but I've always thought it helped deter weeds....

what I try to remember moving irises now:

1. they are putting out tons of energy right now to bloom, and in fast growth. so they will need some bone meal in their new bed or hole. not too much, it can be toxic.
2. make sure you don't breath in bone meal - it's crushed bone - like breathing in corpse germs! use mask or I use bandana over my nose.
3. a wee bit of gypsum (pelletized is available locally for us) worked in my soil helps them to take up nutrients better. (don't know about yours)
4. even though I just started fertilizing them for the spring, I don't add fertilizer when I plant in the summer or fall. I do that 4 weeks later. so I might be tempted to add just a tiny bit of 5-10-10 now. not more than a tiny pinch, top dressed after planting.
5. the only time I water irises is during the first 3 weeks after planting. you're going to have to decide if your spring rain is enough.
ours is more than enough.
6. when I move irises, I cut back the foliage to 5 or 6 inches, no matter when I tranplant them. otherwise they are top heavy and fall over.
7. if you are moving them because of lack of sun, you still might as well divide them, cut them apart, too. but I don't divide them as severely as when I dig them during dormancy (summer). I leave a clusters, three large to four small together, in spring moves.

still consider myself a newbie, but been "practicing" for a while now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.