What do you think would work here, shrubs wise?

Springboro, OH

The area only gets a couple (2-3 at most) hours of sun in the morning. The area is down a slight slope, so I think the soil stays moist there, but not muddy. I tested my soil. pH is slightly acidic. I need to get the phosphorous and nitrogen up. Also the fence runs east to west and I'll be planting on the north side of it. I was thinking azaleas, hydrangeas, peonies? but I'm not sure that will be enough sun for peonies. I love azaleas and was thinking of something along the northern lights line. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? The area is 3ft deep by 30ft long. I was envisioning some sort of hedge along the fence there. The trees will be coming out as they didn't do well there at all. Not enough sun I suppose.

Thumbnail by JeniLyn
Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

Hostas, ferns, Impatiens, Coleus, Astilbe are all good shade plants. If you will look 3 posts down they discuss shrubs for shade.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2009 6:45 PM

This message was edited Apr 8, 2009 6:47 PM

Springboro, OH

Thanks Smokey. I did read the other post but I think that poster was looking for evergreen, which is not really the case for me. I'm thinking I'm going to try out the hydrangeas. I'll post pics later on. Thanks!

Piedmont, SC(Zone 7b)

JeniLyn, that would look great against that fence. Yes, post pics, I would love to see it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ever get your area planted?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.