The Hackberry Tree and other stuff...

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Love picture of Jerry, JoAnn - looks like our Buddy, but more trim.
Interesting iris, Sharon - lots of buds.
Glad thunderstorms over - is pouring with rain here - have to see how the open house goes. - cats - maybe 'good for the soul' - but in the case of Buddy, not always good for your sanity. Just picked up a gift that should have stayed in the cat box and he's trying to get more food. But he's faithful, in his way, if not as faithful as Jerry.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Chuckle...Buddy's gift.

Jazz has decided the lure of the vase of iris is just too tempting. Disregarding the threat of punishment for being on the table....

I'll have to get a photo before he realizes I am on to him again...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I always tell people who ask the cats names "Ben and Jerry" a household favorite.

Oh...look at this....

My iris go to person, PollyK, tells me it is iris tectorum. I have had this one for years and it never bloomed till now. It is very small and I thought when I saw it that it was one of the beardeds just fallen over from the rains. But isn't it pretty!!! I didn't even know it was there, and what a surprise.

For some time I had iris on a side of my house that got lots of sun, but then as trees grew, they were in too much shade. So about 4 years or so ago, I moved them. Every one bloomed, but this one never had. Over the years, my iris have been given to me, so I have no idea where this one came from.

It is also known as Japanese roof iris, because they used to plant it on their thatched roofs.
Interesting history, and I also found that it is highly toxic. It has one more bud, then no more.
I love surprises.

Oops, hit send too soon....

Thumbnail by Sharran
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon, Have one, that was bought as white, but is blue - very pretty - didn't know about poisonous - Lucky that Buddy has never shown any gustatory interest in irises.
Poured with rain today at Merlin's Hollow - David said they've had nothing like it in the 20 or so years that they have had opened houses. - will get a few pictures of his garden tomorrow.
Have some pictures of spring flowers that have bloomed within the last week in our garden.
Japanese wood poppy.

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Anenome ranunculoides (yellow) and A. apennina (actually lilac)

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

dwarf iris

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

spring pea

Lovely show, Charlie...what is the variegated plant to the right of the spring pea?

Great iris, and lovely other blooms, too...Never saw the Japanese wood poppy before.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

primula (polyantha type)

Nice primula, too...
You have lots of things blooming, all very very springish.

Off topic, but wonder if anybody needs a new thread? This one might be lengthy for dial uppers, but I don't have dial up so I don't know.

Speak up if anybody wants a new one.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

lungbane (Pulmonaria 'Excalibur') Sharon
primula (cowslip type- prob)

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Yes - absolutely Sharon.
Primula (denticulate type)
Blue flower - another lungbane (blue lungwort)

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Finally, currently the tallest perennial plants in the garden - Virginia bluebells

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Sharon - The plants you have been mentioning probably say June to us here.
When would you have had these spring plants in bloom?

I am trying to remember, but think our daffs were finished in late March, then tulips in mid April, along with wisteria and rhododendron. So I would say probably yours would be finished at least a month ago.

I usually leave dates on my photos for that very reason.

I will have daylilies blooming very soon, Charlie, and they'll bloom for a long time. They have a few buds now. I also have hollyhocks with lots of buds. So maybe we are about a month or more ahead of you.

Are you saying you need a new thread?

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Looks like you garden for more time in the year than we do - as might expected.
Yes - was going to suggest we need to move to a new thread - not sure what 'dial upper' refers to - but we're having to (scroll?) down a fair way.
Time is 11 p.m. here. What is it where you are?

It's 10 here, so yes, I'll make a new thread.
Hang on and I'll have a link to it here.

OK, here we go...
Let's move over to a new slate:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/986578/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.