The DG Official Chicken Hairdo Contest

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

cmoxon, I think she's cute too. Do you think they sheared her all over except the crown? it's an unusual look but not ugly, IMO

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like it! Claire I think your llamas would like it too. Do you think they would let you do that or would they get spitty?

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

"Do you think they would let you do that or would they get spitty?"

Typo that and you're in trouble.....

Ginger

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL beadmomamie. I picture a llama with one of those plastic flowery hairdresser capes around his neck and Claire on a stepladder snipping him a spikey doo.

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

That might be worth video taping for the $10K

Ginger

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Here's a doo for ya....

Thumbnail by beadmom
Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Oh how I have missed you all.... This is toooo funny... Thanks again for the recipie and the laughter

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Dahlianut - best not to be on a stepladder around a llama - if they get cantankerous - both the ladder and its occupant will no longer be standing. I have not seen that "do" before on a llama, but in some areas they shave them all over due to the heat, so I think that would be a relatively comfortable state for their summer clip!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

How do you know that about a ladder Claire? Oh pahleeze do tell..

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes! there is a story (scuz me while I go get a refreshing beverage cuz this will be a gooder I'm sure).

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Well not that I have been on a ladder around one, because I would not dare! When we went to pick up Lilly, our white llama, proven guardian (killed coyotes that came into the sheep pen at her last home), she was not interested in getting into the back of the pickup truck. At the time, we did not have a livestock trailer, so we were transporting her in our pickup, which had a home-made stock rack on it, and a nice tarp over the top for protection. It was raining buckets that night. Anyway, Kelly and the gentleman who owned her before us decided that they were quite capable of putting her into the truck. The wife of said gentleman, and I, stood back to watch them achieve this objective. Instead, we were treated to a show of a single female llama flinging two fully grown men around a barnyard like rag dolls. Every time they got her near the truck, she would buck, wiggle, kick, and generally fling her body around, spitting liberally, while Kelly and his helper would make unusual noises and generally try to say things like "I've got her" and "Woah girl" interspersed with grunts and yelps of pain. I particularly remember Kelly being dragged around the farmyard attached to her with a rope around his wrist. I am sure it was not nearly as funny for him as it was for me. Oh, and the copious amounts of green goop that liberally covered him afterwards were not at all funny, since I had to drive 45 minutes home with him smelling like a piece of bad cheese that had been sitting in a swamp for many months.

So I'm just saying, I'm not getting on a ladder, which is inherently somewhat unstable, around a potentially cranky llama, because I believe it would be bad for my health.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

See? I TOTALLY KNEW there was a gooder story ^_^ I would have thought that the flowery hairdressers cape would be calming but I trust your judgement Dr. Doolittle. (YOU GO GIRL LILLY! I just luv storys where the animals kick butt!)

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Yep..when my husband says
"I'LL GET THAT HORSE IN THE TRAILER" There's usually much eye rolling by the DD's and you're pretty much guaranteed a good show.

Arab Mare 1
PR-DH 0

The score never changes.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No kiddin Beadmomamie. I'm a city girl but I come from a family of farmers. I believe I've seen alot of Humans:0 Animals:1+ What do I know? I just call em like I see em.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Lilly says "I won, I won!"

(although she did finally end up in the pickup).

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I was laughing so hard.. I've been around horses all my young life. I could see the recipe for a good laugh in the making! LOL

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Once we took several memebers of our Donkey Club to the High Desert Museum for the Equine Education day.

One of the donkeys was so tired at the end he couldn't get in the trailer....

So 3 adults PICK UP a 450lb fat as a pumpkin mini donkey and shove him in the trailer.

Ginger

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

beadmomamie I think that is so luvly that donkeys can tour the High Desert Museum. Do they get a discount or do they have to pay full fare?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh great, now Onyx wants to go to the museum....equal opportunities for all donkeys, he says.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2009 12:51 PM

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I think they got in on the "All You Can Eat" Plan.....

The funny part was when they asked me to go look at their new BLM donkey and see if I could figure out why he had become agressive to the male volunteer.....

After they described some of the issues I had my suspicions. I walked over looked underneath and said "YEP.. As long as he has THOSE you're gonna have trouble with him."

The lady said (no joke).."Wow does it really make that much of a difference?"

"Uh.... yeah. Those puppies need to GO"

They did and the problem righted itself rather quickly!

Ginger

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

I am sure Onxy would be adored greatly.

Really you can offer. We staked out a 16 x 16 pen but actually most of the day the donkeys were out on leads mingling with the public. It was a highly successful event.

Well.. except for that part where Joker lifted a kid's cupcake and made him cry. He was very gentle and sneaky but the cupcake was G*O*N*E and the pink frosting evidence was attached to Joker's lip.

Ginger

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Donkeys are allowed in the High Desert Museum but Puppies are not. Was that because it was Equine Day and not Canine Day?

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Yes. I think so! Uh.. and they weren't INSIDE the Museum......they were out on the grounds :)

Ginger

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

I've always loved this photo of my red-crested black-tailed red Polish bantam roo Prince Apollonia. Who knew chickens could have helmet hair?

Thumbnail by waxedout
Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

That picture reminds me of a news lady on TV! The hair is identicle!!! LOL Great pic, I can see why you love it!!!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

OMG that is a great pic!

red-crested black-tailed red Polish bantam roo Prince Apollonia
Say that five times real fast.. LOL

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Wow! What a handsome guy. Looks like he could also sell cars. Very swanky!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

He is very swanky!

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Prince Apollonia is welcome to join my retinue. His crest is worthy of stardom.

Ricky Ricardo

Thumbnail by beadmom
(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

HUH?? my baby girl chicky won?? Most Fancy Daaahling: Moodene's Lovely Victorian Girl,..wow!!!..boy she will get a treat tonite! I am finished with all those costumes..will post pics on Sunday since the show is tomorrow nite..hehehe

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

She was so beautiful Moodene, and her face was perfect with that fancy "hair-do" - she had a kind of demure look like some of the Victorian ladies did. It was so sweet, she had to win!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Here is a pix from my new co-worker, she has chickens, and I have showed her Daves Garden poultry area.... But I really like her chicken... His name is Dr Emmit Brown...

Thumbnail by MissJestr
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Defintely a worthy contestant MissJestr.

Foley, MO

ZZ, I have sent several silkie roos to "freezer camp", and I must confess... they taste better than any other roo I have ever eaten!

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

:0

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh... ummm I feel the need to say

eeeeew!

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

freezer camp...that is a good one

Foley, MO

Yeah, I said it : )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.