Blooming Today

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Witch of Endor....this one blooms about 4 times a year....

Thumbnail by mrsj
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

"Juan Valdez"

Dee.... this has gotten HUGE! It is easily 36" tall! Its a beauty!

Thumbnail by mrsj
Winnsboro, TX

Hi mrsj, Lovely shots of both irises. My Witch of Endor is much darker than yours. I guess it probably has something to do with the difference in the soil. Thanks for sharing the photos with us.
Happy Gardening, Marian

South Hamilton, MA

Funny J. Valdez story : when Bill Maryott wanted to use the name, he looked in the phone book, found someone by that name & got him to sign permission to use it. Whahoo!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I just have to put up another Juan Valdez....I am so happy with this iris! It is getting taller and the blooms larger every day!

Thumbnail by mrsj
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Audrey!

Beautiful pictures. We got 2" of snow last night, so it's really nice to see blooming irises.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Polly! 2 inches! jeez!!! enough already!!!

Dad reporting that the TB's I planted in the ground in 2007 are looking great, and the SDB's I planted in large containers that spent the winter in garage are all waking up nicely too! I'll be there to see for myself next Wednesday, bringing the SDB's that I tried (they don't like AZ weather) and will get those in the ground where they will be happy!

Spring is coming Polly......

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We've been having spring, Audrey. This is just a minor glitch, a two day thing, supposedly, then back up again, and nice for Easter.

Have a great trip back home!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

"Stairway to Heaven" is putting on a show today!

Thumbnail by mrsj
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

"Zurich"

Thumbnail by mrsj
Cherryvale, KS

My Stairway To Heaven doesn't look like yours! Different soil and climate?? Nice pictures!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I know, its odd...the first year they bloomed just like yours, the past 2 years they have been more intense in color.....if it does what its done for previous 2 years when it reblooms later in the summer it will be lighter in color......it's the only white/blue falls iris I have ever purchased, I have Royal Crusader, but that is light blue with darker lavender/blue falls......

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Audrey - Nice blooms! JV is a very nice iris, I like the color on that one.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh dear, I really like Juan Valdez -- and the story. Guess I am going to have to add another iris to my wish list which is way too long already. I seem to really like Maryott irises. I fall in love with every one I see.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I purchased several coffee themed iris a couple of years ago from Snowpeak because my husband is in the coffee business....I had "Coffee Malt" which was absolutely beautiful but it died last summer and I don't know why....I hope to replace it this year....

Just found pic of my husband with Juan Valdez at the SCAA last year....isn't this a hoot?

Thumbnail by mrsj
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Very cool. Is this the actual Juan Valdez of the commercials! Or the one Maryott found in the phone book. I am totally impressed, that you know such celebrities, mrsj.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Cute, Audrey. Hubbys pretty cute, too! Reminds me of a younger Bruce Willis, a little.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I really like the looks of Juan Valdez. I like the large ones.

Susan

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Right, pollyk, after I posted, I realized I should have mentioned how ummm .... attractive, I found msrj's DH. Oh, we are being bad here!

South Hamilton, MA

I wouldn't think it would be the phone book person, probably an actor as I remember the original actor would be quite a bit older now.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

You're funny ladies! I WISH he looked like a younger Bruce Willis - LOL!

That is the "real" Juan Valdez of the commercials, he is employed by the Columbian Coffee Assoc......he is actually Juan #2 - it was a real big deal trying to find/hire someone to replace the original actor that made the first commercials.....

Susan, I am liking this size on this too - its my tallest/largest to date.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.