Follow the 2009 Hummingbird Migration!!! Vol.2

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Nanny, join me in my misery!

Did you say ever when Ed showed up last year?

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I had 10 Hummers last night and have had several today. I don't know if they are the regulars but they are acting like they own the place!

Also had the first Baltimore Oriole a few days ago but haven't seen one since.

10! congrats!

*must not whine*

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

dellrose congrats!
LOL! Mrs_Ed

Marlton, NJ

Oh you stinker!!!!

Yah, good thing she is so nice and we love her so much!!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

pelletory and Mrs_Ed, Now, Don't take that in the wrong way, I meant it in a funny way! :) ( whine too when I don't get certain birds in! lol!)

No, I think we're talking about Rose being the stinker! But don't worry Iris, we love you too.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Remember last year when I did my share of whining and I still whine about a lot of things! But you must remember I was a dairy farmer for 26 years and whine goes very well with cheese!! LOL!

HEEEEE

you are so funny.

I do remember that you thought you wouldn't have any hummies and then you had like 40 and had to buy a million pounds of sugar.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Relief! So nice to be loved!!
Million pounds of sugar!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Marlton, NJ

Sorry Iris, I should have put down Rose's name. Of course your loved! ^_^

So to recap…

Rose = Loved and a stinker for having all the good birds.

Iris = Loved and soon to be a stinker for the gorgeous hummingbird pictures.

Mrs_Ed = whiny and jealous… oh, and old and pompous! ROFL

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will be wearing red all this weekend, maybe then they will come! And planting some red flowers, also!

Marlton, NJ

I just put out a 4th feeder. :-)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

pelletory, Awww, Thanks :)

Mrs_Ed ROFLBO!

Grandmaggie, Hope you see some this weekend! (Hope you see them soon to Mrs_Ed !)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I have 3 feeders and 3 hummingbirds so far

Marlton, NJ

ROTFLMBO Mrs Ed!!!!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I hope everyone gets their Hummers real soon...I believe in over-kill so I have 7 feeders out!!

Mrs. Ed...Hee...you are a hoot!!

Marlton, NJ

Rose, Rumor has it you have a keg of sugar water on hand at all times.

PERTH, Australia

Yeah, she says it's for the Hummingbirds, but I think it's for making rum.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

LOL Pelle and Margaret...I've been busted!!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Good grief you guys!!! Yes I did ...Ed showed up on April 30th last year.

Well any day then Nanny!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have seen only 2 so far but my Mom has 4 and she is about 25 miles north of me. They are so energetic! I hope it rubs off on me LOL

Hang in there, I whine when mine go over to the neighbors feeders.

Orioles showed up this morning!!!!! Put a couple of pics on the Daily Pic thread!

I hear ya Terese, a new neighbor put up a feeder last year and I didn't like that. I am sure they stole so of miy hummers!

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

I keep looking but no hummingbirds yet or else I'm missing seeing them. I did see our first little wren yesterday on our deck. I have several feeders out and keep looking!!

Cuckoo

Burkesville, KY

We've got about 30 hummers at our house and they've been here for 2 weeks. We use 50/50 sugar water in 2 feeders and they go into a feeding frenzy every evening at dusk until dark. We live in south central KY.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hello, Burkesvillian
30! Wow, I was excited to see 3 yesterday.

A fellow Kentucky bird watcher,
Teresa

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Wait a minute!? Who has 30?? I scanned back up the thread and couldn't find the post!

I'm still waiting (and whining) for my first! Can't believe I don't have any yet.

Will go to Lowes today and buy a bunch of red geraniums. The HBs don't seem to want to visit my azaleas and other stuff. Too pink and pale, I guess.

I do have three feeders up but the raccoons have already figured out how to drain them each night.

I'm so happy the HBs seem to be back! Makes for a funny thread, too! t.

OldMcDeeDee has 30 Tabasco!

DH saw 2 this morning at 6:45 am!!!!!!! No pics yet...hopefully later today!

Oh, now I see! And McDeeDee uses 50/50 feeder solution~~that's interesting!

I must go to Costco and buy one of those 50 lbs bags of sugar. I always wondered who needed that much sugar?!

So glad you got 2 this a.m. nanny.

I must have some around and I just can't see them. Will wear a red shirt out all day today.

McDeeDee, can you tell us what is flowering in your yard that might attract that many HBs???

This message was edited Apr 26, 2009 7:59 AM

I've never heard of a 2:1 ratio. I've only heard 3:1 during migration.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Congrats Nanny!! I hope one of them is your very own Ed!!

Wow Dee...30 Hummers this early...congrats to you!!

I have noticed the Hummers going for the red geraniums but don't seem to care for the pink azaleas in our yard Tab. I have seen them land on the oranges but don't know if they like them or it's just the color.

I have noticed what Dee says...the mad feeding frenzy at dusk!!

I was excited...I sure hope Ed is back. But I did move the shepherd hook so he can't sit right there and guard the feeder any more. But it was great for photos.

We have had 5 orioles at the buffet all at one time this morning. 4 males and 1 female so far. Told DH we will need a bigger table next year! The males are really eating the oranges too this year. I will have to put another one out today as they have the first one almost all gone!

I am sure they are close Tab!

FIVE already? wow. That's amazing!

They are like the hummers. They return to the same area and so do their offspring...so the numbers grow!

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Those orioles are such pretty birds.I like watching them go for a hummingbird feeder is so funny as they lean and spin trying to get that sugar water! After our yucky weather yesterday I'll be watching again today for hummingbirds and orioles.

Cuckoo

Yes, I suppose pink is too prissy for the HBs. Will get some red. Cleaned and put out 3 more HB feeders this a.m. Made my DH wear a bright red (Cincinnati Reds) T shirt this a.m. on his walk and I have my reds shirt on too. Pulling out all the stops today since I read that McDeeDee has 30 and others of you have multitudes, too. Mine must have lost there way back here! Boo hoo! Will have to kidnapp my neighbors' I guess!

Do you think my magnificent orange tulips will help attract the orioles? I read a couple of years ago they like the color orange. Of course, I already put out oranges, grape jelly, nectar. I have 5 birch trees for them to nest in, too. I would love to have some of those purty orioles flitting around.

Am I getting greedy again?! (-:

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

T, its not because you are not being hospitable lol. I don't know what is wrong with your area hummers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.