Can somebody hekp please?

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi Guys,

This sort of looks like a Christmas cactus but it is so huge???

I just broke a bit off to show you but there are lengths of it 6 ft tall?

A keeper )if so how do I plant this piece?) or a throw away?

Thanks my best mates,

Debi (Temp in Eumundi)

Any people living around that area I could visit??

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Merino, Australia

Debi. What you have , looking at the photo, is a night blooming epiphyllum. Probably Oxypetalum.
I have one that looks the same. It does well in a hanging basket hung high as it will grow long , or trained up a tree.
The flowers will most likely be lovely large spidery white. You will have to be quick to see them as they bloom at night and each flower does not last long.
Jean.

Merino, Australia

Sorry Debi, I forgot to add about planting.
You can plant the whole piece or each segment. Plant in a well draining mix and don't over water. I fertilise with a bit of potash before flowering and a good all purpose one in spring/summer.

Barmera, Australia

Those cacti can get to be very large in the warmer climates. This photo was taken a Chambers Flats near Brisbane, you will need to look hard at first but they are planted in the ground and climb right up the trees. One in foreground and another back a bit to the left.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Yes lovely, and one to keep! :)

We have a variety making its way up a crepe myrtle.

Like Jean, I love its spidery blooms. Our one is a blush pink in age, blooming white to begin with.

These plants thrive on neglect, and can grow quite happily in a variety of micro-climates.

Sydney, Australia

epiphyllum. Probably Oxypetalum.
I'm with Jean on this one.
Cheers
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman
North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi Guys,

How do you plant the side one's if you take them off and where would you take them off?

Thanks my friends,

Debi & Elli-May

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Merino, Australia

Debi, if you want lots of that plant, you can cut at the junction of the main leaf where each other leaf joins. Plant in a well draining mix. with about 1/3 of the piece in the soil. A cacti/ succulent mix is good for small collections. Don't water much until new shoots form. Never over water epis anyway, they tend to like being on the dryer side
A couple of mine live out under a tree and some are in the shadehouse.
Jean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.