Rabbits....how can I keep them away w/o a fence????

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

I am heading into another season of growing unintentional rabbit food! PLEASE, any thoughts or advice on how to keep them away??

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

bump

Iowa Park, TX(Zone 7b)

What are you trying to protect? If it is short plants like lettuce or turnips, you can make some bottomless cages from hardware cloth (two or three feet square) and set them over the plants. Your garden size would be very limited, however, by how many cages you made. We have two dogs that love to chase rabbits so they are not a problem for us. We have a fence around the garden anyway though to keep the dogs out of it.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have the same problem.... Have two things that have helped. I spray the plants with "Deer Off" brand liquid spray. DON'T get this near your eyes because it's made from hot peppers LOL It's spendy but it does work and lasts for a good 4-6 weeks. My main gripe, and I've written the manufacturer, is that it clogs every type of sprayer I have. They do sell it in spray bottle but is cheaper in gallon. As new leaves come out you need to spray those but generally after the plants are tall enough the rabbits don't want to reach over about 6 inches.

The second thing I've used is a poly type netting for deer. Some years the rabbits eat through it but some years it's worked. Chicken wire would be better but my neighbors go nuts if they can see it LOL

Now...chipmunks and voles.....those I have NOT beat. All of mine are fat and very happy!

Livingston, MT(Zone 3b)

My dad had a problem with rabbits for years. Last year he used Liquid Fence

http://www.liquidfence.com/deer-repellent.html

and put up a big fake owl looking over the garden. No rabbit problems.

South Dennis, NJ(Zone 7b)

Try some dried blood. Sprinkle it all around the plants that need protection. Rabbits don't like the odor. It's available in bags almost everywhere. But, if you have dogs, be careful to keep them away from it. It smells like steak to them, and they will gobble it up (you know how dogs will eat just anything!), and it can make them very sick.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hopefully the dogs will gobble up the rabbits.

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Actually, a neighbor's cat has taken care of 3 young rabbits so far. I know cuz I found the proof :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.