Santa Barbara Daisy

Lodi, CA(Zone 8b)

I love these flowers, but it reseeds to the point where I can't keep up with it and it sprouts up everywhere. Invasive? - YES.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you like the flowers but not the invasiveness, there are a number of California native species of Erigeron. The invasive one that's usually referred to as Santa Barbara daisy is Erigeron karvinskianus which contrary to its common name is not native to CA. Here are the CA native varieties--some are more widely available than others. http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/specieslist.cgi?rel-namesoup=contains&where-namesoup=erigeron&where-prettyreglist=any&rel-upper_elev_ft=gt&where-upper_elev_ft=&rel-lower_elev_ft=lt&where-lower_elev_ft=&where-caltranslifeform2=any&where-native=t&rel-calipc=gte&rel-rarity=invalue&where-rarity=any&where-pretty_plantcomm=any&orderby=taxon I've got several plants of E. glaucus, there are several cultivars of it that show up in nurseries around here. Not sure about the others--I don't recall running across them but haven't really looked either.

Lodi, CA(Zone 8b)

I know there's a native called the Seaside Daisy. Thanks so much for the information. The Santa Barbara is really hard to get rid of. Might be as bad as Bermuda grass.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.