flowering cherry trees help

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

planted about 2 years ago niether has yet to bloom. i fertilize them and they were blooming when i bought them but nothing since. what can i do to get these to bloom.

know they had white flowers.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do they look healthy otherwise and are they in an area that gets enough sun? You probably just need to be patient--many plants will be blooming the year you buy them, but then they'll take the next year or two off and not do much while they work on getting their roots going. The other possibility is if you've been giving them a lot of high nitrogen fertilizer that can stimulate a lot of green growth at the expense of blooms, but I suspect it's just the time factor.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i give lime once a year thats it and they get afternoon sun about 6 hours or so worth. look healthy just no blooms

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know if they need lime so I don't know if that is helping or hurting or has no effect on the flowers, but I think you probably just need to give them time--hopefully next year you should start to see some blooms and then the show will keep getting better from there.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Lime only if the soil is pH is below 5.5. If you aren't certain of your soil pH get it tested. Prunus serrulata is widely adaptable as to soil type, which includes Ph. They do need well drained soil, however. Prunus serrulata is considered a short lived tree. Prunus subhirtella 'Pendula' (Weeping Cherry or Weeping Higan Cherry) is much longer lived. Both have considerable landscape value when well grown.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.