NanaNook Port Huron, Mi Welcome to DG.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello and welcome to the best garden site there is. This is the Michigan forum...your neighbors are here.. If you need help with this big site...ask away..someone will come and help you....Tell us about you...and what you grow. What you like to do?.....again welcome...glad to have you...

smiles..Diana

Thumbnail by WantabeGardener
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

welcome to daves garden and the Michigan forum hope you love it as much as we all do
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome NanaNook. We're so glad you're here. Tell us about your garden.

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

welcome to the site-happy spring!(i think)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Welcome nananook....

snow day ughhh boo boo boo

We have a great forum here, come and visit often!

Port Huron, MI

Hi Everyone!
I hope I did this right. I just clicked on reply to thread (what is a thread?). I have lived in Michigan all my life, right on the border of Canada with beautiful blue water all around me. I love flowers, birds, butterflies, and my rock garden is my prayer room. I was out there last summer bent over my "May Night" salvia when the most beautiful butterfly landed next to my nose! I giggled. Since then after sharing my wonderful experience, my husband, Dave made me a "giggle" sign and it is out there waiting for the snow to melt, the salvia to begin, and the butterflies to return. Oh could there be anything better!
Nana

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I realy don't think there is ;0)
Gloria

Port Huron, MI

It worked! I was able to use the thread! Well, now we can get to know each other. Will all on the Michigan forum get my messages or do I have to indicate who gets them?? A little confusing until I get used to it. I retired from the local school district on 2/1/09 so now I can spend my time with my gardens, my "retro camper" and my studies, ... yes, I love to study! I am going to send for the free seeds for "newbees". For so long I have wanted to talk to people that did not think I was crazy when I called my sprouts my "babies" and when I talked about my roses as real people. I have a yellow trumpet vine that will not bloom after three years of doing all that I read to do, even kick it! A lady in Canada swore by it. I looked around to see if neighbors were out before I gave it a big kick, then apologized. I will let you know if it blooms. I think I am writing too much so will get off for now.
Nana

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

every one on Daves can read this and some times you just have to do the tough love thing My t vine was 8 years old be for it bloomed it was just beautiful then the escavators (sp) yanked it out by the roots when we moved the new trailer in I was so mad ;0(
Gloria

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi...this is the link to the basic..Michigan forum, so you can see..all that posted something..if you go down to the very bottom...you can see there is a http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/region_mi/all/ place for you to start a new thread... you can read all the rest of the threads....and when someone post to that thread...when you come to DG....you will see a post has been done on your thread...lol..I do not explain it very well..but play around..lol...Lots of
good folk here..as well as the rest of the forums...happy to have you...smiles..and hugs...Diana-----oh as far as the trumph vine goes..I have a orange one...and it took awhile for it too....

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have the yellow trumpet vine too. I want to dig mine out this year(need the backhoe)
I did the same thing with wisteria-it would grow and someone told me to spank it-so i took my rake and i
whooped it good and now its a monster and even bloomed!! :)
glad to have you here with us and if you need anything just ask!

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi NanaNook. I'm from Port Huron also. I'm fairly new to gardening, but I fell in love with it a few years ago. I can't wait to start planting. I'm trying fruits and flowers. I have blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. I plant some cherry tomatos, but I'm so ignorant about so many things. This is my third year trying to get clematis to grow so I'm hoping they will come alive this year.

Port Huron, MI

Welcome grammielorilee!
So glad to hear you are from Port Huron! Clematis are happy as long as their roots are protected from direct sun, like mulch or a bush in front of them. I have three one of which is over 20 years old! Gardening is a way to see creation and honor the creator. I love it too and am new to many aspects of it. Hoping to learn a lot from this site:)
Nice to meet you!
Nana

Lachine, MI

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!
As you walk through the many garden paths of life...we hope you enjoy your stay on Daves!
Sandy

Port Huron, MI

Hello Everyone!
I need help! My plants benefit from birds so I feed and water them well. However, there are two neighboring cats that like to come and feast on them. Is there anything I can do to keep the cats away? I have tried the fox urine but that doesn't seem to bother anyone but me (stinks). If you have any ideas that have worked for you, please let me know. Thanks!
Nana

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

bb gun

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

You could try to fence in an area around your bird feeder so the cats can't get at them. I used to have a problem with squirrels killing my birds. They would bite their heads off. I actually stopped feeding the birds except for hummers because I kept attracting unwanted vermin. I'd get racoons, possums, skunks and rodents. I took down the feeders and no more problems other than rabbits. I don't have all the seed hull debris on my lawn any more either. I love the birds but for me it just wasn't worth the aggravation and mess. I love to watch the hummingbirds and the sugar water doesn't seem to attract anything other than wasps and bees. :) I am getting chickens in a few days so I guess I'll have problems again with their food attracting everyone.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

lol brenda-seems we can never win!!!

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Some people have tried..moth balls...?????????????? smiles..Diana...

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori your to funny! but it does work.....

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a realy nice one shots good too ;0)
Gloria

Port Huron, MI

Thank you all for the ideas. I will try moth balls. My husband has a gun and if the balls don't work, the bullets may. I guess I should be happy that the squirrels aren't head hunters like Loon''s are! That would be horrible! Thanks again and if you hear of any other ideas, let me know. Nana

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome Nana. I added you to our calendar.

http://www.communitywalk.com/map/index/370290

Port Huron, MI(Zone 6a)

We had some cats that were wandering and no one seemed to own them so my husband used a live trap and took them to the pound. Feral cats are a menace. Otherwise I would talk to my neighbors if the cats belonged to them or if all else fails the BB gun works.

Port Huron, MI

Regarding cats after my birds: well, I found a plant that smells like a skunk so I bought 3 of them and planted them near bird feeders. I will let you know. Also, hey Arejay59 (Robin) thanks for the wonderful selection of seeds! Can't wait to plant them. How come you didn't keep the stamps I sent? They were still in the envelop. I sent five 42 cent ones. If you overlooked them, I can mail them to you. Just let me know. And, to all those who shared my abuse to my yellow trumpet vine: It is sprouting leaves. Just maybe it will flower this year, and if not, the bb gun may work!
Happy hoeing :

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.