New trees

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Has anyone had problems with neighbors not being happy when you planted trees??? We planted evergreens ON OUR PROPERTY and have gotten an unbelievably nasty reaction.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I haven't had a problem, but a friend of mine planted some trees near his property line and got the neighbors upset because they'd just put in a new driveway and were worried that the tree roots would eventually get over and crack the driveway. Neighbors definitely can get upset if trees are near the property line and they're worried about where the roots will go, leave/branches/fruits/other stuff dropping from the trees; or if trees are going to block a view, or will be shading their favorite sunny border, etc.

Your neighbors may just be cranky jerks, but you might try stepping in their shoes for a minute and think about the impact your trees are going to have on their property--maybe there's something you hadn't considered which makes the particular location you chose problematic from their perspective. Ultimately if the trees are on your property and can't cause damage to their property then there's not much they can do about it, so if these are the sort of neighbors who are going to have a problem anytime anyone does anything then I would make sure you can't run into any legal issues with the location you chose but then ignore their complaints. But if these people are generally nice neighbors who aren't always complaining about every little thing, then I'd try to listen to their concerns and either reassure them why that won't be a problem with the particular trees you chose, or if their concerns are genuine then maybe see if a slightly different location in your yard might give you what you need but also address their concerns.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Ercane3 has mentioned the main reasons why this might upset your neighbors. What is the ultimate height and spread of these evergreens and how much of it will actually take up the neighbor's space? Do you risk the evergreens being trimmed by your neighbors, which they have the right to do, if anything grows over to their side? They can cut anything off that hangs over the property line, regardless of the effect on the evergreen.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The laws on trimming stuff over the property line varies from place to place--I know out here you're allowed to trim overhanging stuff but only if it doesn't harm the tree. If you kill the neighbor's tree in the process of cutting back the part that's in your yard then you can get in trouble.

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Thank you Ecrane3 and Snapple45 for your very helpful responses. I appreciate it so much!!! We are planning to move within a year, never to be in such a situation again. Live and learn I guess. Since we like to landscape and garden we need acreage, privacy and the perimeter replete with mature trees. Our mistake this time. Many thanks!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

In Ohio, if it hangs over it's yours. You can do whatever you want to the part that hangs over, even it it results in the death of the tree, shrub or whatever.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.