Perenniels geraniums

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I would love to see a list of geraniums from you experienced growers of these that do not self seed so crazily? I have grown only a few and the ones I did have except Johnson's Blue threw seeds everywhere and I do like these plants but not the seeding everywhere. Any help???

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

From my experience, the G. prataense's seem to be the worst at self seeding. Or maybe they just germinate easier. I have never had any volunteers from my phaeums, macrorhizzums, or oxaniums. (Probably because I wouldn't mind having those popping up elsewhere!).

Deb

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Do you have any particular cultivar names too that are especially pretty?

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I really love G. oxonianum Katherine Adele.

I wish it would reseed.

Thumbnail by momcat
northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

G. maculatum Elizabeth Ann is pretty, too. I like the dark leaves on this one.

Thumbnail by momcat
northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I like the G. phaeum Springtime. The flowers aren't anything special, but the leaves are really pretty.

Thumbnail by momcat
northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Springtime leaf

Thumbnail by momcat
, WI

Those are beutiful momcat...I love that last leave..:)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I so thank you for all your great information and very nice photos.
I have seen a blue one not Johnson's Blue, but maybe Mrs. Kendall Clark, I believe, any photos or advice on that one.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

that one I don't have. The only real blue I have, other than Johnson's Blue is G. bohemicum, which is pretty, but very small. Flowers are only an inch or so.

Thumbnail by momcat
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Where we are, as said, some of the geraniums can be from gentle to quite bad seeders. Have never seen Geranium macrorrhizum (e.g. 'Bevan's Variety') seed here. It is quite a rapid spreader, but is very easy to pull/dig out.
Have read that Geranium 'Rozanne' (2008 Perennial of the Year) is a better plant than 'Johnson's Blue'. It is said to be exceptional for a long period of bloom and a large amount of bloom. Perhaps also it is a bit more compact than 'Johnson's Blue'. Only started using 'Rozanne' last year so can't support the claims.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Now where is you best source for these? Generally speaking what is their best growing environment? Shade? Sun? Dry? Wet? Thanks for helping this newbie to cranesbills.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine are all in shade to part shade. My soil gets pretty dry, so I do water daily all summer.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Lenjo,
Use Dave's Plant Files - I've also found the comments that members have made (following the plant's description) very useful. Re sources: need info for retailers in your area.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

I think there's still a co-op like sale going on with these guys for DG members. I read on a thread in the co-ops forum that they were giving a discount to DG members at checkout through June.

http://www.geraniaceae.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.