AAA and How I saved $100 on my glasses

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Please note that I am not selling anything nor am I in any way affiliated with any of the products mentioned. Just wanted to pass on what I thought was a good value.

A few years ago I joined AAA (the auto club). I'm not sure if the price differs based on where you live, but I pay $40/yr which seems quite reasonable. One year I called them at 9:00PM on Friday night when I locked my keys in the car and again a few months later to jump start my battery when I left the lights on. I also called them 3 times that year to tow my car due to a combination of break downs and accidents, all at no additional cost. Just one towing would have exceeded the cost of my membership (I know this because I paid for the same trip a year or so earlier), so I figure the membership was a good deal - and that's not to mention the peace of mind I get from knowing that I can call them any time day or night and they will send someone.

Last year a few weeks after I bought my eye glasses, I learned (while viewing the AAA website) that AAA members get a 30% discount on glasses at Lens Crafters, Sears, and Perle Vision (in my area, at least. not sure if these things differ in other areas). I had bought my glasses at Perle, so I went back and asked about the discount. They gave me just over $100 back from my purchase. That's more than 2.5x the cost of my AAA membership, so I figure my AAA membership is a very good deal even if I never need it. There are a number of other discounts available for AAA members. If interested, you can check them out on the AAA website.

This thread has 13 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!