Long's Garden

Hebron, KY

Has anyone ever ordered from Long's Garden before? http://www.longsgardens.com/

If you have, please give your experiences (good or bad).

Thanks!

Marilyn

South Hamilton, MA

We have not ordered lately, but have done so in the past--no problems.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

This place is very popular in Denver because they let people dig their own. I have a friend who loves to take her whole family and go there. I guess their irises are good, too.

Cherryvale, KS

Looks like a neat place, but I've never odered! I've already ordered fom Blue-J, Dee, and Polly! By the time Keppel, Mid-Am, and Burseen get thru with me I'll be whipped and in the poor house!LOL pic Glowing Smile

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Glowing smile is lovely!

Raleigh, NC

love Glowing Smile, but it didn't prove to be too hardy, it was a Cooley's intro, right?

Cherryvale, KS

Yes!! Hager 01 (Glowing Smile) new pic Heartstring Strummer Johnson 01!! Happy Saturday BIF's!!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Long's is wonderful, ordered from them the past 2 years, no problems

Hebron, KY

Thanks for all your help and responses! I'm searching for Captain's Joy and I found them during a Google search. Seems that's (among others), a hard to find Iris.

When I get around to ordering Irises, hope I can still find some available. :-)

Marilyn

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

If not you can always ask I may have it.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Maybe I'm missing something about a discount, but Long's seems rather pricey for iris that have been out awhile and are available many other places....

Before The Storm $9
Bolder Boulder $16
Champagne Elegance $7.50
etc.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Don't know. I hope to visit them this spring but have never been there or ordered from them. Perhaps their higher prices reflect the fact that most of the customers are locals who don't shop around for prices on irises. If you shop on the internet and don't compare, you can find some really old irises for $10 and $15 each. I guess they just don't sell to people who know iris prices.

Hebron, KY

Neil,

I thought the same thing. They want $7.50 for Captain's Joy. If I can't find it anywhere else for less (that I feel comfortable ordering from), then if they still have it, I'll pay it. But as I was looking at all the Irises a few days ago, I thought they sure were 'on the pricey side'.

Cindy,

Thanks so much for your offer!

Marilyn

South Hamilton, MA

$7.50 for a TB is really not pricey. they are not in business to give them away.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

$7.50 for Champagne Elegance and $9 for Before the Storm IS pricey.

I agree they can charge whatever they need to......

South Hamilton, MA

You don't knpw how much of a cultivar they grow; if they have a great amount, they can lower the price. If they just acquired it themselves a couple of years before, they will have fewer plants themselves so charge more. Superstition has a couple $3 pages, plants they are phasing out to make room for others, or just plain fantastic growers. Before the Storm is one of those. Grew here with ice on top, so took it to the club sale as we knew it was reliable.

Raleigh, NC

why not contact Schreiners, see if they have a Captain's Joy they can sell you? seems to me it was in their display beds. it was their cross, wasn't it?

Hebron, KY

Bonjon,

I already had contacted Schreiner's and they said don't grow it anymore.

Marilyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.