What's in bloom today - Pt 6

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/963068/

9Kitty, this is just for you, Lemon Lime. these are from the seeds you sent me 3 yrs ago. geez, time does fly

Thumbnail by vossner

This is either Salmon or Orange Sovereign from Arghya Gardens. Very strong color and very strong bloomer

Thumbnail by vossner

2nd yr for Residence, from RC, another strong performer

Thumbnail by vossner
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I'm enjoying each flower on Gervase - they're all unique!

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

The Gervase reminds me of the Rembrandt series of Tulips, so much variation in the same plant.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Love Gervase. Do I have room for one more???
H. striatum yesterday.

Thumbnail by boojum
Ewing, VA

Yume Mitai

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Piyo-Piyo

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Evergreen

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Striped Panther

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Something differnt but still an amaryllis...

Fukurin Variegated Clivia

Thumbnail by mariava7

OMG, I have the average clivia, a yellow, and a peach but they all pale....Someday, I want your sources, Maria!!!!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful! All of them! Vossner, that is so exciting that you have Lemon Lime blooming from 9Kitty seeds! You have to tell me if you did anything special...when did you put them in the garden? I have lots of seedlings I am trying to get to maturity. You are so right about time flying too!

I think one reason I do seeds now is I see how quickly my GK are growing and it seems like they were born just a couple of years ago! The first one turned 9 in January and the second will be 8 in May. I have a a dogwood that sprang up from seed in my flower bed when the first one was born...I babied it and planted it in a special place and it is flowering now...almost 8 feet tall already! So I thought, hmmmm seeds! Before I turn around NINE YEARS will have passed and I can have all kinds of Amaryllis in my garden...LOL

Oh, I love OS too...one of my favorite because it is such a rich color and big blooms too!

Janet, I think I put the seeds in water and when they developed tails, I planted them in a soiless mix. after 3 mo or so I transplanted to a qt pot and they might have stayed that way for 1 yr protected from summer sun. Then transplanted in ground in part shade (only because I had other yellow stuff in the area) where they have been 2 yrs and that's it. I don't know how to collect seeds and don't know what magic is performed for crossing them.

You're right about time passing at lightning speed.

I'm looking at clivias and wondering if I should develop an obsession for them. take care, sweetie.

Mariava are those japanese amaryllises? details, pls, absolutely glorious. do they grow like the dutch ones?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

mariava7, time to tell us all where do you get yours? Stunning. I have the old standard clivia in bloom. We started with a tiny plant in 1983 and now we have an army of them. I did buy a yellow one last year, but I don't expect it to bloom for years. Here is a patch of the ones in bloom last week. Your peachy one is, well, just peachy! Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

patti, is yellow more special than orange? I guess the variegated one is the holy grail of clivias. Do you care for them like hippies?

Yes, mariava, sources please.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

We don't withhold the water from them. Plus we give them more shade or they burn in our greenhouse. BUT, I have no idea of what you are suppose to do. I do let them get totally pot bound.

Yes, mariava, sources please.

I posted 'Trentino' that just bloomed yesterday in the old thread by mistake. Too pretty not to post it again! Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I certainly understand developing an obsession for the Clivia! LOL I can see that would be quite easy to do! It is beautiful!!! Love the variegated one!!!

Mobile, AL

I know that I don't post enough of my photos, but I do need to contribute, so here goes...

An adorable Red Lion!

Ann

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Mobile, AL

And now for another awesome treat (not as awesome as Robert's)...

Papilio with 7 petals and 7 anthers!

Thumbnail by HSteacher
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

BEAUTIFUL!!! thanks for sharing!

That's one happy papilio, Ann!!

The yellow clivias are more expensive and harder to get, and the peach ones are even more. My yellow has bloomed for 2 years now but this is my first year with the peach. It was glorious when I bought it but all my clivias got mealy bugs and they got discouraged from blooming so far. The orange, of course, is blooming like a champ. I put them in a cool room from Jan-March and slow down on watering-I usually keep them moist. I am growing babies but haven't divided yet. I suspect right after bloom would be the best time. I think they like to be root bound.

Ewing, VA

Sources: Japan and China

If I cannot get them here in US, I find ways to get them over here. If there's a will, there is a way...right? Just have your checking account ready! LOL!!!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

ooooo, drooling over that varigated clivia. It took several years for my yellow one to bloom,, guess longer for the varigated???

Elaine

Does anyone know the name of this one?

Thumbnail by
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I would say it is Hippeastrum 'Dancing Queen' Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Thank you very much

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

It is a special gal! Patti

yep, DQ and a good performer, blooms reliably

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I entered Dancing Queen in the flower show at the Flagler County Fair this week. Yesterday, I dug it out of one of my outdoor amaryllis beds, and potted it up. 2 scapes in bloom at once from last year's bulb.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

bsharf, spectacular!

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

gorgeous flowers everyone!
ID anyone?

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Familiy photo.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

WOW, mine haven't grown like that. And the original lemon-lime hasn't bloomed again either.

Those are gorgeous!!! Thank you so much for showing me their picture!!

Susan
=^..^=

Susan, Lemon-lime has never done well for me. I finally lost it completely, just never did thrive!!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

mariava7 - Your 'Evergreen' is awesome! The old Lemon-lime never impressed me, it was just a generic amaryllis with small, greenish off-white flowers. But 'Evergreen' has a nice cybister form and cool green color. Are there any reliable US sources?

Got mine from Wayside. Not my fav nursery but it was a big success.

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Dancing Queen.

Thumbnail by Sunshinesw
Ewing, VA

Hi Tom! Yes, Evergreen is GREEN and is a cybister and a performer. It can produce from 4-8 flowers per scape. Evergreen is an early bloomer compared to other cybisters. I was planning to stagger their planting as I had plans for their blooms but NOTHING could stop them from blooming. LOL!!! They just put out those scapes even if the bulbs were stored at 45F. I got mine from several sources this season. Some from several Ebay sellers and some from KVan Bourgendien. Unfortunately, they are all sold out now. Something to watch for next season.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Vossner...Yume Mitai and Piyo-Piyo are Japanese hybrids. I am just learning and documenting them.

First: their bulbs are a lot smaller than Dutch hippies. They range from 14-18cm only.

Second: So far, they give out scapes with only 2 flowers per scape except Piyo-Piyo which gave out 4 flowers in it's first scape.

Third: They have small/miniature fllowers except Green Lady which was a large trumpet compared to the trumpets in the market.

Fourth: Ploidy ???????

They are now growing together with the other hippies. I don't know if they will require "special" care. I am carefully observing them. Mr. Komoriya, the nybridizer of these Japanese hippies have used a lot of species in his hybridizing. So I think a lot of these Japanese hippies WOULD be acting/performing like species.

Variegated Clivias: They are none different from the green leafed clivias. The nice thing about them is they are more compact growing...no lanky wayward growing leaves. My mature and blooming ones only have like 15 inch long leaves that are growing happily beside a bright window or by my patio screened door. I really grow them for their leaves and not really for their flowers. They are so pretty even without flowers and stay pretty all year round...lol! Most of them have red/orange to orange to peachy/orange flowers. The yellow and peach flowered variegated clivias are very expensive! For now, I'm very happy with just their leaves. I have another variegated clivia that is in bud right now. I'll post it's pic ones it opens it's flowers.

Thumbnail by mariava7

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.