Can someone post a picture of Violet Reprise?

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a purple TB iris that I am trying to ID. I think it might be Violet Reprise but not sure. If someone could be so kind as to post a picture of Violet Reprise, that may help me ID this iris. It is fairly tall, about 30" in height. Not as dark as Superstition and not as fancy/frilly as Autumn Circus. Thanks, L.

Edited to correct height

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 12:01 PM

Lebanon, OR

A self of any color is almost impossible to ID, the only prayer you would have is the buy what you think it is and plant side by side to see if you have guessed correctly.

We had a test on this and even many of the hybridizer could not do it with a list of three times as many iris on the list to the number of iris on the table.

So you can see a PICTURE or a DESCRIPTION will never really let you ID.

D

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

I guess my thought is.....I have an exact list of what I have bought (invoice actually). And when I planted them I did not keep track of what was put where, and some got moved.
I know the ones I bought and so by process of elimination I can probably ID it.
I bought Superstition, Autumn Circus, Royal Knight, and some others that are similar but I have already ruled those out. So it is down to deciding between Violet Reprise, Double Shot, and Jumping. There are no photos of Violet Reprise in pf's so hence my request.
Oh yes, I'm correcting the height.....I looked again and it is only about 30" tall. It does have a small splash of white on the falls. To further add to the confusion, something ATE most of its petals! But there is enough left that I can see the color pattern.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Farmer, I have the same problem with some of our iris, and Dee is right, it's almost impossible to ID some of the self color or even some plicatas for that matter. Where did you purchase your iris? I have 12 years worth of Cooley's catalogs, but they have so many iris that others don't offer, so the URL of the company you bought from might help. I'm just curious, as some individual flowers can differ on the same plant, i.e. we have Earl of Essex, and sometimes the flowers can look a lot like Autumn Circus. Both are plicatas and rebloomers. Autumn Circus has more stitching around it's falls, but Earl of Essex is one of the parents.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

That is my dilemma. NO receipt for the Violet Reprise. It was likely purchased over 2 years ago, when I did not hang onto the receipts as a rule. When I first began gardening, I bought what looked good on the website, never thinking to make note of the source or location I placed the plant. I bought most of the others in notmartha's iris coop last year that was with eFlowergarden, and did keep that receipt. I checked the websites of bloomingbulb and easytogrow (places I frequently do business) but no violet reprise listed there. It may be that I bought from one of these vendors in the past but it is no longer being offered. Either way, I am learning to keep a garden journal and take pictures of what blooms as a record!

Lebanon, OR

With the list you might be able to ID, but just to put a self out for people to ID is almost impossible as said before.

Many of the plics are as hard because there are so many similar iris on the market. Sometimes it takes tearing apart an iris to see the difference and I can truly state that, as there was a seedling that I swear with the same at Paul's and he tore it apart piece by piece and I finally saw the difference.

Good luck

D

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's a link to a picture of Violet Reprise

http://www.candtirispatch.com/catalog.php?item=2619

South Hamilton, MA

Saw the picture; check out beard color, texture veining on the falls, & haft markings to help.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Thanks Neil, now I can get an idea of what Violet Reprise looks like. Farmer, lotsa luck, there's a whole lot that looks like that one.

That's funny Dee, I thought I was the only one to take a flower apart in order to ID it. And since you raise lots of iris, you know what you're doing.

Lebanon, OR

Thanks Happy Jack, but sometimes the beard is the only thing that will set an iris apart from another...

I know when we did the test there were 5 pink selves and we had a list of 15 iris that the 5 iris were out of...I got 2 right one got 3 right none got all 5 correct and there was a judge in the mist...

D

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Neil,
THANKS for the link to the picture! That was what I was looking to find. And of the three candidates I'm picking from, I'm quite convinced that the iris in question is Violet Reprise. I notice that even though my computer screen makes the pictured iris look very blue, the description says it is a red violet, which mine is. And the same amount of white on the falls too. So it has to be.
Thanks everyone!

Raleigh, NC

I have Double Shot- it's not unlike Autumn Circus, both have a darker violet/purple coloring and just a band on the edges of solid color. there's no way you can mistake it for Violet Reprise, in the photos I've seen it's a lighter purple self. mine grows tall, much more than 30", in poor conditions, so it should be still taller for you. but a "splash of white" ain't gonna cut it - think you're referring to what's called "haft marks", white lines, on a purple ground? on the Autumn circus and Double Shot it would look the other way around, it would like purple lines on white ground

autumn circus has more (and more intense) purple lines/lining through the petals and is slightly different in flower shape, rounder and taller to my eye, than double shot. love my double shot - it always blooms for us 3 times.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow! Three times!!!!! Here is my Autumn Circus from this week......no mistaking it for Violet Reprise. And it has 3 more buds today. VERY fancy and has quickly become my favorite so far.

Thumbnail by MiniPonyFarmer
Raleigh, NC

oh dear - that doesn't look like any autumn circus I've ever seen. is this really it? I've always seen it with long lines all the way through it.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm well I found a pic in the plant files that does not have lines all the way thru it at this link
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/55398/
If it is not, then oh well. It is still lovely to me.
Thank you all for showing me such kindness here on the iris forum. Have a great weekend.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.