I have a poo question my fellow Michiganders....

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

I will be getting the bed of my truck loaded up w/ composted cow manure tomorrow from my uncles farm. How do I properly use it? We just moved into our home in October and finally the weather is allowing us to work the blank canvas. It has become over grown the last 6 years. It is 100' x 60'. Should that be enough? I know that is a tough ? to answer but any wisdom that can be shared would be awesome! Below is the canvas :)

Thumbnail by Patriotboy247
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

a truckload should do that area!
spread it out all over and work it under with a tiller!

My mom use to put some up around the plants too (i hated that)

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Is there such a thing as too much poo?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i dont think so! but you never know! i think you will be safe with cow poo!

but i have seen where they poured chicken poo(high nitro)in piles and where the piles were
dumped nothing grew for a few yrs in those spots! but dang does the corn grow good-the farmer(we rent the land to) has not switched crops for 4yrs and said at least 4 more yrs of corn!!!

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Well yes could be ..If you don't till it in well. Plants need soil that is loose and airable, some sand and
well..... your manure! But too much could act like the clay under most of our topsil in Michigan
if not tilled in well.
Sounds like you have a good handle on it though. Can't wait to see what changes you make to the' canvas'.
Keep posting pictures as you work. It is so much fun to watch it all come to life!!
Julie

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

My truck bed load of cow manure compost!!...came w/ about a 1000 free worms :) I think I could use another 8 truck loads BUT will have to be more greedy next year...

This message was edited Apr 5, 2009 3:49 PM

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

that looks awesome. Im jealous! Im gonna order some poo too!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

You need a bigger truck!!! :)

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Patriot,
I don't know if any one else will agree but after buying a 135 year old Victorian on only a 3/4 acre lot with NO landscaping...I started to bring in a peat/sand mix. after about 200 yards of soil paid for i was running out of money. I got free wood chips and moved them into a berm 80' long and 3' tall. It took about 3-4 years for it to break down as i did not turn it. But it really worked quite well as a free tool to create some very aer able and wormy, loamy soil full of beneficials and rich with decayed matter.
It could be turned and would compost faster but i was in no hurry. it is just a suggestion.
One caution..if you use it to plant right away you need to feed what ever is planted in the bed with fresh wood chips extra nitrogen as most will get used up in the process of the decaying 'carbons'.
But i have used over 300 yards of wood chips even black walnut wood chips which are quite beautiful.
All with great success. I love them and they are free!!
Oh yeah! Nice pictures. I know your 'Boys" will love what ever you do to spend time with them and there is no better fun than watching your plants grow!!
Julie

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm with the reast can't wait for pics keep us posted
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 6a)

Kris, today my brother asked mt two yr old grandson (whos been "helping"me a lot in the garden)" whats Birdie growing in the garden? " His reply was.........poop.

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Birdie, thats too funny. Kids always say the funniest thing's.

Thanks for the advice Julie!

I ended up getting another truck load of "regular" organic compost. Then I spread the big pile of leaves over the garden and tilled them in this weekend. I spent all day Saturday working on tree and shrub removal and then had to drag it to the back of the yard. Lost most of my day doing that work. Still have 2/3 of the garden to till. Found out there is a lot of gravel in the garden. But, the owner b/f me was able to grow great things in the there so time will tell. I will get some pics tomorrow when the sun is out :)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Do you think the area used to be used for a driveway of some sort? Usually that is why they put down gravel. It would make for good drainage. Sounds like you got a lot of work done. We haven't tilled our garden yet. We will get on that soon. I wanted to make sure it was good and dry first. Haven't even been out to check it out. I saw the garden guy on channel 25 rototilling the station's garden today so that's my cue. :)

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Brenda,

Jenison, where I live, is a gravel mecca! We have gravel pits everywhere and I think its just blended in. A lot of the neighbors tell me the fella who lived here and worked the land had a beautiful garden w/ what is there now. I did learn no one has done anything other than till in the weeds every once in a while for maybe 9 or 10 years. I hoped to attack the garden area some more this past weekend but soccer and yard work kept me from it. That and a wicked sunburn on my head. Managed to add another 4 yards of awesome black compost. The canvas is starting to come together! Looks like next year we will focus on the lawn. Too much of an expense to do it this year:(( And my background, if you will, is in lawns and landscaping. Patience, right?

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh cool! We can pick your brain!!!

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

An update....100 potatoe plants in the works..

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

And the rest of the canvas that I need to fill in. So far, I have 2 random asparagus growing and they are about 3 ft tall...lol...I still have to put the asparagus I bought into the ground. Its really sloppy looking right now BUT that will change shortly. I still love the irrigation pipes the previous homeowner who worked the garden built!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Looks great!!
I drove by my garden yesterday and lo and behold my asparagus is all up........tons of it. I am on my way out to harvest it now. I guess I know what we'll be having for dinner tonight. :) It seems like those spears shoot up overnight.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

dang i will have to check mine-havent made it over to the veggie garden much!
looks good Kris!!!! I luv tilled dirt!

Grand Haven, MI(Zone 5a)

It's great Kris!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.