Where to get one or two Double flowering Clematis vines

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm looking for just one or two double flowering (knock outs) clematis vines. Can't find any locally but the single flowering ones. Where to look on line?

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Kathy_ann, I've had good success ordering from Silver Star Vinery. They have a good selection, and while they may be a little more expensive than other on-line vendors, the root systems are very well developed and the plants are great!

Sarah

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Sarah, I'll check them out

Delaware, OH

silver star vinery roots are HUGE. no comparison.
i am not a warm zone expert on doubles. some of them need a dormant winter i think to bloom double, so check that out before assuming they will bloom double for you.
the double comes from the hardiness and the extreme stored power in the vine, as the doubles bloom from the old wood or last years vines...many of them bloom single later in the year. or even single in the spring if not well nourished, or if they are blooming on vines pruned late summer the year before.
again, i am not up on all the implications for your zone.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have other doubles that bloom double. They definitely get a dormant winter here in my zone .

What do you think of koi garden? I see he has several doubles.

Delaware, OH

i do not know koi gardens folks, but have heard good things.

do you have proteus? a fantastic double and good single late bloomer too.

sorry not zone familiar, you sound tropical to me after a looong cooold winter!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

No, I don't have proteus, wish I did LOL

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Proteus is very happy here so it doesn't need a cold snap to grow.

Delaware, OH

love love proteus. last year for some reason i did not get good photos. but will this year. also love veronicas choice, which was hard for me to establish and eventually dies, but the blooms were breathtaking. very early and very amazing. i have another one on order.
veronicas choice is one of the most precious doubles i have ever seen. hoping for good year from my belles of woking this year. last year so so, but they had not been in over 18 months and this year will be better i am sure.

have never concentrated on doubles, but last year put blue light in and crystal fountain. the duchess of e does ok for me, but not spectacluar.
multiblue has been my most reliable double, very good clem. here is multiblue 08.

for those that have been wondering about a low blooming clem, multiblue might be a good choice.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's beautiful!

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I just ordered four clems from Silver Star. Durandi and Margaret Hunt to grow on a pillar, and a rooguchi because I couldn't resist it, and Barbara Harrington because I could buy a 4th without additional freight charges. (sneaky of them to tell me that!)

Delaware, OH

all great choice in my opinion. that margaret hunt is one of my favs.

ooh so glad it is spring. really glad. enjoy your clems.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Silver Star Vinery is fantastic!! You can't go wrong with them!

Susan
=^..^=

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

OH man, youguys are Causing trouble LOL !!!!!!!

What ever am I going to do. I can't have them all he he

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

Next year when the garden catalogs start coming in February I'm going to tell our receptionist to put them in the trash. I must have ordered 50 different perennials this year, and have no time to plant them. Have to pay the yard guy to do it. Plus I'm running out of room! Going to have to stick with climbers.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 7:52 PM

Delaware, OH

right, think vertical!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Multiblues clem. does well here in my garden, K_A. I was lucky to have found those locally. Belle of Woking died back the first year I planted it. The second year it came back and gave yielded a few small double white blooms. Neighbor has a fairly decent double white with green tinged blooms and bloomed fairly well last year. Good lucks.

Delaware, OH

multiblue a very easy going clem. reliable. belle of W harder to establish. your neighbors sounds like duchess of edinburgh, who loves to bloom early and retain green in the sepals. really shows the structure of a clem well. duchess can be hard to establish, but also after she is up and going, she is one of the biggest doubles. however, if you want to see a photo you won't believe, go on the silver star vinery web site and look at the photo they show for proteus. a m a z i n g!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.