Mule and Sylvester palms in zone 8a

Sumter, SC

My local Sumter,SC, Lowes is selling Toddy date palms (Phoenix sylvestris) and Indian Cliff date palms(Phoenix rupicola). I have been growing a Canary Island date palm for the past two years , which defoliates during winter and turns green again by early May, similar to my Mexican fan palms. Has anyone in the SC midlands,zone 8a, had luck growing any of the Phoenix date palms or the Mule palm which, according to DG's plantfile, is cold hardy to zone 8a.

Sumter, SC

This message was edited Apr 20, 2011 4:46 PM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Phoenix sylvestris does well on the coast and grows faster than a canary date palm. As far as 8a??? I know they will work in 8b but I'm not sure how they do in 8a.

As far as Phoenix rupicola I don't think you can grow that at all in 8a.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have both sylvestris and canariensis in the ground, and I had to protect them both several times when the temps went below 20. The sylvestris looks a lot better than the canariensis does.

Emerald Isle, NC

Ive been trying to get a mule palm dident see any at the local lowes,they say it a cross between a butia or jelley palm whic is very hardy in zone eight ive had them fo i5 years and they dont burn,its crosed with,the queen palm ,my queens did not make it, mule should be a good choice,my large palms took a hevey hit all except the needle and the jelley,and thesabal palmetos LOL Hightider

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.