Emo-Wormies

Chillicothe, OH

I find it really interesting the number of posts that talk about our worms being happy, disturbed, etc. etc., and think it really intriguing that we need to keep their emotional state in mind if we're to work with them successfully. Now I know some of you might have merely been speaking anthropomorphically, having fun thinking of our worms as being a little like ourselves, but really, I don't think it's much of a stretch to say our worms HATE light, LOVE melon rinds and 'like' laying eggs in eggshells, are disturbed by being moved or jostled around a lot,... so I thought it might be fun to start a thread dealing with our observations regarding our little friends' feelings, how we use these to manage our worms and maybe what we can learn from observing them. Anyone?

I'll jump--
Humans are incredibly emotional creatures, and we have no other language to use to express actions. Can you think of a word to replace happy, or sad? 'Motivated' or 'restricted' just don't carry the same meanings. So if they do what makes things 'good', by eating what we give them, and reproducing, then of course they must be content, or happy. After all, when we humans aren't happy, we don't act in proactive healthy ways, we self-destruct.
So what can we learn from observing them? Maybe just that it takes the right environment to get the right results. If our own worlds are off balance-too much food, too little warmth, too many disturbances-we aren't going to be as effective either.
Ok, anybody else?

New Haven, CT

Worms were my first pets, much to the dismay of my mother. LOL Studies show that animals have feelings...all animals and worms are animals. They aren't deep thinkers to be sure but they react to their environment in ways that show us that they are distressed, content, ill and so on. So I don't think it's at all untoward to speak of them as happy or hating something. I believe that they do feel these emotions, just as every other animal does. They show these feelings by avoiding light, laying eggs, trying to escape and so on. Keep 'em happy and they will work for you...pretty much like employees...

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

lol at the last sentence.

Ringtown, PA

The most powerful message I receive from my verm's is that when conditions upset them they will leave... Pronto,,, no destination known... life is either good or it's not.

How many of us will contend with 'less than satisfying'...

Jeff

Chillicothe, OH

Took several readjustments on my part to get mine happy, but I sure knew it, once they were. I'd tell anyone starting out that they can't expect to set them up and forget them. Not immediately at least! Too wet, too much bedding, too much food, it took me a while to learn what was just right.

Worth the effort, though! (Pic is my set-up in the kitchen.)
Melis

Thumbnail by Melissande

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.