Pond into jap.iris bed

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

So we've been trying to stop my big pond from leaking and if this last effort doesn't work,I'm turning it into a japanese iris bed. It's a cement pond,about 15 ft long,kidney shaped w/ widest end about 8-10 across. Has a shallow end and deep end of about 3-4 ft.. Will take some doing to fill it in. Has a drain in the bottomtt l let open so it won't be flooded all the time.Full sun all day. I believe I read JI like acid soil? Need some JI experts with suggestions. I have a few JI and some Sibs too. Will the two be happy in the same bed?

Peggy

Raleigh, NC

I've heard they will. others know better than me.

ask pollyk or inquire at ensata.com.

I'd use easily drainable rich soil, lots of compost. heard they like aged horse manure (that's from ensata fellas). and I've known folks here to bury an old boat and use that to help the ground stay moist enough. so a pool wouldn't be much different.

only thing you'd have to watch is what leaches from the concrete or gunnite. JIs dont' like lime (from ensata).

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Japanese and sibs would love a pond like that, Peggy. JIs and sibs co exist very well.

There might be a little concern over the lime from the concrete, but I wouldnt worry about it unless I saw some yellowing of the leaves, and then it would be easily corrected with some acid fertilizer. I doubt there would be a problem, except for maybe irises that abut the concrete.

Put the best amendments you can in, as you're going to want to use the soil for the irises forever, I imagine. Compost, composted manure, and peat for amendments, and mix in fertilizer.

If you do it, be sure to show pictures.

Isn't there some way you could put a liner in the pond to keep it from leaking?

Raleigh, NC

it should not leak, polly, unless the concrete or gunnite cracks. that would only happen a great deal of water stayed in and the contents of the pool froze and expanded more than the pool could handle due to the expanding ice. hmmm come to think of it, we drain gunnite pools in winter to prevent that. maybe a liner wouldn't be a bad idea.

what about creating a false aquifer in the deeper end? maybe some gravel down there? or sand?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I thought I had it well away from the roots of a big oak tree when we put it in...apparently not. We've tried fixing it by spreading a coat of that stuff they use in minnow vats then painting over that with water proof paint so there probably wouldn't be a problem with lime leaching.

Raleigh, NC

good!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Hub's won't let me clean the leaves out just right yet. Him and his buddies are going camping on the 10th and he wants the worms under the leaves......LOL

Hmmm,they're oak leaves. Maybe I should just leave them and fill on top of them?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Sure, leave the leaves in there, and the worms you get to keep.

Lebanon, OR

Polly how about adding a bunch of coffee grounds on top of the leaves for even more worms...I swear the worms are GOD'S greatest gift to use gardeners and anything that brings them to my garden I will do.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That would be great.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

my husband plans on taking the worms on a fishing trip next weekend*S* But coffee grounds I can do in abundance.

Lebanon, OR

Well at least if he does not get them all you will have bigger and bigger ones, with all that nice coffee and leaves...

D

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

next week I'll clean it out,close the grian,fill it up and see if it leaks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.