Earth Friendly by Accident

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

About three years ago, I started gardening and growing some fruit trees and couldnt understand why they did so poorly. After some long nights and research I found that the food and ag industry often grow or push people to grow plants that arent very well suited for my area. In fact, the water waste and fertilizer nonsense just blew my mind. So I promptly bought 11 worthless acres and started buying fruit trees that grew easily in the Texas climate but were popular in other countries. I have about 230 trees in the ground. They are little to no maint heavy producers. After that, I wondered why people put in landscaping plants that didnt produce food. Well, I then started landscaping my entire yard at home with tough as nails edibles. You can have pretty and functional too.
The first challenge I had for my orchard was getting a water supply. After realizing the costs of irrigating an orchard, I dug out a large pond at the lowest part of the property and have been pumping the rainwater from it to irrigate my trees. The second challenge was the aggressive insect population at the orchard. I prompted obtained some old hens that a family was giving away and set them up with an open coop so they could have the run of the orchard to eat bugs. Funny enough, these chickens that had not laid in years, started laying eggs again. I dont understand that but now I have more eggs than I can eat. We also have a horrible wild boar problem in the area so I trap one every so often, clean and freeze it for meat. I hate doing it but they are soooo invasive and destructive here. The taste is pretty good.
The next thing I know, I am a darn earth loving, tree huggin, green hippie. It kinda crept up on me. I already had solar panels and a rainwater collection at home and now I have eggs, meat, fruit and veggies all the time. If I knew what I know now 10 years ago, I would probably be off the grid and retired from the computer industry.

GO TEAM!!!

This thread has 69 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!