Suggestion for two to plant on a pillar

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I would like to plant at least two clematis in a large planter to climb a pillar/obelisk. I'd like to plant something that bloomed fairly often, and I'd ideally like a pink and a blue. Any suggestions?

Delaware, OH

for pink and blue you can't beat durandi as blue and the lower one and, in my zone which is very different than yours, (better have jeane chip in here for the texas low down, and margaret hunt a very vigorous vitacella that is a pinky tone of lavendar.

of course you texans have a lot of vigorous favorites that may be different than mine.
here is margaret hunt, truly a fav of mine and a very underutilized clem not often talked about.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru

What do you think about adding a rooguchi to the pot?

Well, I just saw on another thread that you don't recommend rooguchi for a planter, so I'll put him in the ground. Already ordered, anyway!

Delaware, OH

in your warmer zones i think rooguchi is very pot worthy. remember i am in zone 5 and need to remember to check the questioners zone as i reply.

i have killed my fair share of clems as we all have, and willl try rooguchi agian , esp after all the interest on the forum on it. the best i ever saw were at the chalk hill, mary toomey garden.
alionshuka is another semi herbaceuos clem who i saw do very well in a pot out there.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.