My greenhouse smells

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Like Tomatoes!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Boo, hiss!

Sorry, it was just so wonderful to open the door to that smell.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I know, mine are a while off yet.

I'm thinking about inviting the neighbors over for tea in there. Smells like summer.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I love the smell of a greenhouse in the morning!

North of Heber, AZ(Zone 6b)

Ahh, cathy, that great tomato smell! And pastime, I have to agree that the greenhouse smells great at any time of year. Right now, when I open the door to mine I am hit by the smell of citrus blossoms -- the baby grapefruit & tangelos have started blooming! They will probably keep on for another month. Now I hope it gets warm enough to leave the door open on sunny days, to give the bees a chance at them. Hopefully my tomato plants will have blossoms in a couple of weeks, too.

How do you pollinate your tomato plants?

AZ, mine is just a little greenhouse, the tomatoes will go outside May 1st. I'll have waaaaaay too many, I got carried away (imagine that!) Everyone I know will be getting tomato plants, I'm making patio buckets to give away at the food pantry, some will be sold at church to raise money for the food pantry. I'm hoping my husband's boss will let him sell some at the service counter to the plumbers, $ for the food pantry, too. I can't believe how cheap it is to grow from seeds. Time consuming, but I've got most mornings free.

My pink wave petunias were ready to pot up this morning, that was fun. I'll have enough for me, church and some friends. The seeds for them cost more, but still less than buying them grown.

For church I also have baby's breath to plant with the rose bushes, lots of dwarf zinnias, impatiens, yellow marigolds and coleus. Most of the gardens are in shade. I'll be adding caladiums as soon as it is warm enough. My husband's bed is red knock out roses, yellow marigolds and yellow mums come fall. My bed is all shades of pink and white. Actually, we are in charge of all the beds this year, so I guess they are all ours, yikes! We do have help for the others, and I'm using buried soaker hoses and water crystals this year to help with the watering. The person last year put the hoses on top of the mulch, I'm sure they will work better under the mulch.

Still nothing from my winter sown stuff. I moved some of it into the GH, but still nothing. Not happy about that, last year I had gobs of plants coming up by now.

wow, sorry for the ramble, i get carried away easily.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

AZ, tomatoes are pretty much self pollinating... I think the pistil rubs the anthers as it grows past. To ensure, simulate a gentle breeze with a little shake of the plant.

And you are ALL horrible brat children for reveling in front of me. You wait, I'll get even some day...

Bwaa-hah-hah,
Jay

North of Heber, AZ(Zone 6b)

Jay, thanks for the tip on tomatoes. No blossoms on my tomato plants yet, but I guess the bees have found my greenhouse -- the two little citrus trees are still blooming but some of the blossoms have been pollinated and are already starting to set fruit. Yippee! There are lots of them, but I remember from my big trees in Scottsdale, that lots of them fall off, too. My tangelo & grapefruit trees are only about 2 feet tall so I don't know how many great whopping fruits they can carry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.