They are here-I need help

Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

I posted a question about my clematis I ordered further up on this thread. I haven't gotten any feedback yet. My order arrived today. They are in very small pots-Will Godwin,Kingfisher and versailles. The other one-Niobe is bareroot.Do I put them in containers ? Do I need to do anything to the Niobe before I pot it? Do I need to put on deck in sun right away? HELP!
Lynda

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Lynda..soak your "Niobe" bareroot clematis over night before potting up..if you have smaller than one-gallon pot that is ok for a bareroot..keeping moist is veryyy important for it to thrive and grow..Pot up your other small potted clematis in one-gallon pots..Make sure and plant them 2-4 inches deeper than they are in those little pots...water them well and put IN MORNING SUN ONLY or you can do as I do and dig a hole and drop the pots in and pull the soil back up around the pots....water well..remember it's essential to keep the soil moist..then around early fall when the temps are cooler they most probably will have big enough roots to directly plant in their new home..I always put a 1/2 to a handful of bonemeal in my planting hole..but if you have problems with critters then omit that part...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

don't know where you ordered from , but those collections are usually really small plants that need watching carefully, maybe even gro on in pots before you plant out.

jeanne gives good advice there. we want your clematis journey to be the start of a major obsession and very satisfying!!!!
good luck. sounds like a nice collection.

Thank you so much for your input.Yes, these plants are very small. I'm going to be careful in caring for them.
Lynda

Delaware, OH

be a good mommy and don't let them wander to far out in the garden before they are big enough!

Sweet thought Guru
Thanks -Lynda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.