April 2009 in the garden

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

April flowers in the garden..................................................

NOT - Happy April Fool's day everyone. Seriously, all, please post your April garden photos here.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2009 9:50 PM

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I was helping out some Danish visitors with their soil sampling here in Davis and there was a wheat field within the experimental area. I did not realize that they maintain the green color even after they are pretty dried. Think I will keep them for a while and see how well they hold up overtime.

Humansville, MO

hi all
every thing is great here at elle farm
elle

london England, United Kingdom

Thanks for the new April thread Dianne. Love the wheat!
Hi elle!

Look at these pretty tulips in my garden today.....

Thumbnail by terriculture

Aprils FOOLS!!!! they are in a vase!

Happy day everyone!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Good one Terri. Thanks for the new thread Dianne, lovely beginning.
Terri I feel your pain on the arbor, ours is about to collapse and Steve is going to make me a new one, wish you were closer he could make 2.
I went to water my plumeria yesterday it is about 5' tall in a pot in the living room and had 3 branches on it, well guess what after all these years it got the rot. 2 of the branches were rotted and the main stalk had a bad rot bruise about 2' from the bottom. I had it next to a swivel chair and believe that it may have gotten bumped too hard from company and got the rot. I cut to whole top out of it as it had one little shoot toward the bottom about the 1' mark and the one good arm I stuck in soil and hope to root? We shall see.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, today it is sunny, soggy and 50.. no gardening...too cold to swim and trowel!

Hey elle, pass us some of that summer heat!

I got a rabbit from Hawaii! A-low ha! hahahaha! April Fools!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Funny blossom, nice lei - warmer here in the high 50's but completely overcast no sunshine like they promised, dang!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Talking about a lay.. the ALOHA Bunny left me something in the garden.. LOL!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Terri,

The Fringe Flower is also called Chinese Witch Hazel. Here is a close up from plant files...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/68543/

Candee, it's a shame about your Plumeria, hope it roots for you. I hate it when we lose our plants!!
I will miss the arch, but now thats it's gone the forsythia has taken on an arch shape LoL!
Steve is making a new arbor, Lucky you!

Blossom, love the flower garland, A low ha !

Yardqueen, Thanks for the picture, it looks like a very nice plant with lovely flowers.
Cissy's brick planter is going to be great!
How are things over your way? are we in or out with the seedlings today? LOL!
Hope the Birthday party preparations are coming on well?

I had a little wander round with my camera the garden today ....
Forsythia

yellow balls! kerria something or other, is in full bloom..

I will cut it back when it's finished flowering.

wallflower just starting to open.....

Peony on it's way up!

Foxglove, forget me nots and crocosmia starting to appear!

South, TX

Bluebonnets are wonderful.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms

Hi Sally, What a pretty picture! Are Bluebonnets bulbs?

South, TX

No, they come up from seed. They are a VERY big deal here in Texas. Our State Flower. They and many wildflowers grow on our highways. Ladybird Johnson did so much for us by having seeds put out to help the flowers already there. There is a Ladybird Johnson park near Kerrville. We go to the Hill County every year, lots of flowers there. We just got back from three days there. I see a doctor there also.

I named my sweet new car Bluebonnet. I am also going to get license plates with the flower on it. Texas has a lot of diff. plates you can get.

Oh yes, I love your car! Sounds like a great park, nice you spent three days there.

South, TX

We didn't stay in the park for three days. We were in the little towns in the area. So pretty. Huge live oaks, hills, German food! We stay in a B&B with OLD homes made of stone.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2009 1:33 PM

Humansville, MO

hi all
i would like all the flower
it look like a fun vac
well the goat count is up to 12
8 boy and 4 girl
elle

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Sally,

Were you in New Braufels? Oma's Haus? We go to San Antonio very often as my Mother lives there. We ALWAYS stop at Oma's on the way home.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I liked San Antonia back in the 70's.. that was the last time I was there, bet it has changed! There are lots of places in TX I loved! Would love to go back to see if I feel the same!

Sen real estate brochures!

South, TX

We always go to Fredericksburg, Boerne and Kerrville. We love it. I love to go to the nurseries and eat yummy German food and bbq. Lots of fun shopping. Our doggie goes with us of course.

Here is what the OLD homes look like.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I loved the river walk in San Antonio....I almost bought a house in Brownsville down by Corpus! It was cool! It have 5 acres, a nice rolling meadow and the home was cedar! The only problem with the home was that the cedar smell actually got to me! I liked the Amarillow area, that Palo Duro state park was awesome. Used to horseback ride there! Bet that has changed a lot!

Texas is one of those great states that has a lot of diversity in the rea estate and landscape. Beautiful territory, but I bet it has build up very much since back then. I was in areas that you did not see much for nearly 100 miles. Down towards El Paso those salt flats were too much! But I was lucky one year to see the desert in bloom! OOOH MY GOD never saw anything liek it and so beautiful.. too bad the spring only lasted 2 weeks! It was awesome!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I grew up in San Antonio, but left after I got married in 67. We live in East Texas now, which is of course different than South, West , or North (Panhandle). You are right about the diversity. I think DH once told me there are about 5 or so geological regions

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 9:29 PM

South, TX

Yep, Texas is like a whole country, so diverse and HUGE. Lots to do. We have seen a lot of it. I have been in Big Bend when it was blooming and it was stunning.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

My Daddy loved that sight SOOO much! He really wanted to go this year, but he passed away in January. We had planned on taking him if he was able to travel, but his health would have had to improve for that, which did not happen. In better times he and mother traveled in their motor home all over the US including Alaska, and also to Canada. They saw a lot of beautiful sights, but one of his favorites was Big Bend, right here in Texas.

South, TX

The traveling your parent's did reminds me of my g.parents! They had a Silver Streak trailer. SO NICE. They were in the club and met friends from all over and they had so much fun! Parties she would decorate, learn games and taught us. They had many stories.

My sister and I went with them from TX to San Fran, Ca. and we got to pick the highways and what we did. I was in 7th grade. We stayed with my uncle in S. Fran. and he showed us everything. I have been back and always remember his tour and pretty home. That trip was amazing.

I am sorry about your father. So glad he got to travel earlier. Lots of good memories.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes they did have lots of memories. They were in a club also and they did the same things you speak of. Your trip to San Francisco reminds me of ours... DH and me... when we were newlyweds. We had to drive from San Antonio to Tacoma WA, and we stopped in San Fransisco and spent a few days with an aunt and uncle. They took us to China Town, Haight Ashbury (sp), The Golden Gate bridge and we saw Alctraz fron a distance. We saw some other things but I don't really remember everything as this was over 41 years ago... LOL

South, TX

Sounds great Yardqueen. Fun place to visit for sure. We went all over Cal. when we lived there for 8 years. We have been back in Texas for almost eight years.

South, TX

We worked outside today. Our Crepe Myrtles are blooming now. Nastursiums here in this picture too.

South, TX

Repotted lots of containers. BIG and small. Here is one on the table.

South, TX

I planted this a few weeks ago. I have an herb garden on the side of my house, but this is so handy!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I posted this in the peony forum, but it was such a great photo that I just had to post it here too. I can't take credit for it - my daughter took the picture with her fancy camera.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Awesome new pics!!

I have been in 42 states and the eastern half of Canada.. I still like Texas...I think actually it has 7 ecosystems or geological regions.

Each state does have some area that is precious. I cannot stand Illinois. Must be because I have lived here forever. Its hard to move when good friends are here. I would like to go someplace warmer..more year round.. A private island would be nice....but if my rain keeps up, will not have to worry about having shores!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Blossom - I have lived in California all my life after immigrating here from Hong Kong/China when I was 5 years old. I have visited other states, but only for very short periods. I am definitely a Californian who would not know what to do in such cold weather. Here is photo of a pink dogwood to give you a glimpse of warm weather to come.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

and a close up. I am taking advantage of my daughter's photography while I can until I find my old little cheapie camera.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.